Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to expect CC offers?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When to expect CC offers?

I haven't received a CC offer in 8+ years, and I haven't opted out of such offers.  DW and I filed Ch13 BK in 2004, which was discharged in 2006 and should fall off our reports in a few months.  There are also a handful of associated baddies, which, again, should fall off this summer.  I applied for and received an OB rebuilder card 9 months ago, and my only other open TL's are a mortgage and a student loan - all in good standing.  My FICO scores are in my signature.  Can anyone offer insight into when I might start receiving CC offers again?  I'm not actively seeking credit right now, but I'm curious.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: When to expect CC offers?

I would opt in again if you have not done so since BK, because the bk 13 automatically opts you out of all pre-screened credit card offers.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, for some reason I was not aware of this BK side-effect.  It makes sense, but it didn't really occur to me, especially since DW is in the same boat I am credit-wise and receives an offer from OB every couple of weeks.  Anyway, thanks for your advice!

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

I would opt in again if you have not done so since BK, because the bk 13 automatically opts you out of all pre-screened credit card offers.

Credit,

Could you share your source on that?  That varies from my experience - so it may be a YMMV thing.

In my experience, our CH 13 BK did not opt either DH or I out of all pre-screened credit card offers.  We received several pre-screened offers during the BK, including one I app'd for right after making our final CH 13 payment - Orchard HSBC.  DH regularly recieved USBank offers as well, and I'm sure there were a few FP or some such in the mix.  And we received lots of mortgage company refinance (not cc's but still) offers that included the opt-out message.

We still receive offers for rebuilder cards from folks that are obviously seeing our BK and sending us those offers in spite of it.

I think it's probably true that folks with a BK still on their reports make it through very few of the pre-screened offers and so receive very few offers in the mail.

But, OP, I wouldn't worry about it.  You'll be in a great position in a few months and will want to research which cards will work best for you, and what their criteria are for approvals.  When you meet their approval, selectively app for those that will serve you best.  Pre-approvals make your heart sing "They like me, they really really like me" but they will not necessarily be those cards that will serve you best.

Best wishes as you move forward and your BK ages off!!!  Keep us posted!

Also remember that there are a few pre-app websites.  Folks will chime in with those they are familiar with.  I think HSBC, Cap One, AmEx and Discover all have these types of sites.  (**Although HSBC denied me a second card when I had the Orchard open.  Even though I was pre-approved, they wanted to see 18 months after the Orchard opened before opening a second card.)

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.