Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to go after AMEX Blue?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When to go after AMEX Blue?

Okay, here is the deal:

I just went over 7 years since my last baddie.  All negatives are off all three bureaus and my current scores are: TU 685  EQ 685  EX 690

I currently am an authorized user on the following which are reporting to my reports:

Cap 1 (Wife's Platimum MC) 750 limit

Cap 1 Visa (Best Buy)  300 limit

Discover 1000 limit

Amex (since 2011) Green card so no revolving ability

I have on my own:

Cap 1 (Cash Rewards) 500 limit

Credit One (Yea I know) 500 limit (my plan is to drop Credit One as soon as I grab a prime card)

At the end of February I am going to pay off everything so I have a utilization below 5%.

What I want to do is try to obtain my own American Express Blue, Chase (Something) and Discover with higher limits. 

According to the credit score simulators on Bank Of A and Experian as well as Credit Karma, paying off my cards (and my wife's which list me as well) will take my score to around 710-725 range. 

I currently have the following Hard Inquiries:

Experian 7

Transunion 2

Equifax 1

The 7 on Experian include the 2 from TU and the single on Equifax so the grand total is in fact 7 with one falling off in February.

I have no car loans or mortages on my record and no history of Bankruptcy.  I did have a few negatives from over 7 years ago, but all those are now gone from my reports across all three bureaus. (In other words...I did the time and waited the 7 years for them to drop)

I never defaulted on American Express or on Discover (they both asked when my wife put me on as an Authorized user on her accounts)

So....What do the wise men/women here think of my chances at a American Express Blue, Chase (something) and Discover IT with limits on each of 2000 or more?

Will it be worth the risk to allow the Hard Inquiries?  If so, does anyone have any current back door numbers I can use in case I need them?

thanks for your time.  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

Re: When to go after AMEX Blue?

I would think the discover would be the best bet as soon as the util is lower.

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 2 of 24
jake619
Frequent Contributor

WOW!  It's like a credit report reboot.  Nice work.

Message 3 of 24
pkosheta
Contributor

Having an amex for over a year I'd imagine you'd have a good shot at regular blue.  I have blue and now without MR points mall it's kind of useless unless one has had an amex for years and too many points to lose But don't want an annual fee.   Even BCE is better At its 1% floor, heck any 1% cash back card has better rewards.  only reasons I keep it are the $25 small business bonus and the hope the mall will make its return.  Personally I'd stick with green.  Go grab an IT and a freedom if u want, but if u have low spending the rewards pale in comparison to the good customer service That amex chase and discover provide.  When I call amex or chase its never a problem, my time is best spent not being on hold Or misled or told 3 different things.

Age 29
AU- United+ Visa 33k, *97. GM MasterCard 15k, *95.
Individual- PenFed Plat Rew 7k, *08. Amex Blue 6.7k, *12. Hilton Amex 5.5k, *12. Chase Sapphire 15k, *12. U.S. Bank Cash+ 12.3k, *12. Barclays Priceline.com Rewards Visa 11k, *13. Citi DoubleCash (PC'd in *14) 7k, *13. Club Carlson Premier 9k, *13.
Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks folks.  Its been a long hard road to get to this point without credit...so this time around...I aint gonne screw it up.

I just don't want to be messing with Credit One or First Premiere type cards at all if I can help it. 

Additionally, Capital One has been hounding me to buy a car lately too via US mail.  lol

I dont want a 30K car...I just want a 2-5K Amex Blue and Discover or Chase card. Smiley Happy

I guess what I am after are cards that allow me to charge more than a pair of shoes before hitting 25% utilization and with names not ordinarily associated with bad credit.  I like paying for something on Discover because not everyone can get one.  Same holds for Amex, but with only a Green card...gotta be really careful not to over spend.  I use the Green card for trips and car rentals mostly. 

I am thinking of trying my hand at a Cap 1 CLI via the executive offices if Amex, Discover and Chase fall through.  I am just trying to guage which to go for first:

Currently my desires are leaning toward:

1. Amex Blue

2. Discover IT

3. Chase (Something..whatever they have)

4. Cap 1 CLI

Thing is I don't want 4 fresh Hard inquiries right now.  So if I get the first one, I will lay back on the rest.  Or if I am feeling really spirited, I might go for the first two and if I get em..stop there for a year.

I like the Discover card my wife has me on.  What do you guys think of the Discover IT vs American Express Blue?  Apples to Oranges or is there a real difference?

thanks

EDIT:  Thanks for the info about your Amex Blue.  I will look harder into the Dsc IT card then.  I love the Discover rewards.  I have collected a couple hundred dollars worth of stuff in just the past year using my wife's card and following their bonus schedules.  (I just pay it off/down each month so the statements are never huge)

Message 5 of 24
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

I'm currently had both card and really love the rewards structure and their customer service.

I believe there are some promotion going on with sign up bonus for Discover It and also i can refer you a link so you can get $50 cash back bonus.

Amex also had some charge card and credit card which ( Blue ) that u interested in . Your change getting approved more than 75% but its YMMV.

I first approved for 675 Fico credit score for both of the product. Discover gave me $1.7 and amex gave me $1k . Amex also pull all three but i apply for Amex green first then i go for Amex Delta as second route since its an easy card to get . ( Delta product change to BCE after 30 days).

Good luck

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 6 of 24
ukimafija
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am thinking of trying my hand at a Cap 1 CLI via the executive offices if Amex, Discover and Chase fall through.  I am just trying to guage which to go for first:

Currently my desires are leaning toward:

1. Amex Blue

2. Discover IT

3. Chase (Something..whatever they have)

4. Cap 1 CLI

Thing is I don't want 4 fresh Hard inquiries right now.  So if I get the first one, I will lay back on the rest.  Or if I am feeling really spirited, I might go for the first two and if I get em..stop there for a year.

I would try all this but in reverse order, call/email Cap. One EO and ask a CLI on 3-4k, it is a SP, so when that updates, Than go for Chase freedom, Discover and Than Amex, it that order, you can get them all or at least 2 out of 3.They will pull different CB except maybe Chase and AMEX end up pilling EX both, but like i said, worse case you can get two cc easy if you manage to get that CLI on Cap One. You got too many toy limit cards.

BOA Cash Rewards Visa Sig. 12K; BOA Travel Rewards Visa Sig 5K, US Bank Cash+ 11.5K, AMEX BCE 6200, AMEX BLUE Sky 7K, Chase Freedom Visa Sig. 5400, Fort Knox FCU Visa Platinum 2500; CAP ONE Cash Rewards WORLD MC 5K

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 747
Goal Score: 800+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 24
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

+1

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 8 of 24
drewrico
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay, here is the deal:

I just went over 7 years since my last baddie.  All negatives are off all three bureaus and my current scores are: TU 685  EQ 685  EX 690

I currently am an authorized user on the following which are reporting to my reports:

Cap 1 (Wife's Platimum MC) 750 limit

Cap 1 Visa (Best Buy)  300 limit

Discover 1000 limit

Amex (since 2011) Green card so no revolving ability

I have on my own:

Cap 1 (Cash Rewards) 500 limit

Credit One (Yea I know) 500 limit (my plan is to drop Credit One as soon as I grab a prime card)

At the end of February I am going to pay off everything so I have a utilization below 5%.

What I want to do is try to obtain my own American Express Blue, Chase (Something) and Discover with higher limits. 

According to the credit score simulators on Bank Of A and Experian as well as Credit Karma, paying off my cards (and my wife's which list me as well) will take my score to around 710-725 range. 

I currently have the following Hard Inquiries:

Experian 7

Transunion 2

Equifax 1

The 7 on Experian include the 2 from TU and the single on Equifax so the grand total is in fact 7 with one falling off in February.

I have no car loans or mortages on my record and no history of Bankruptcy.  I did have a few negatives from over 7 years ago, but all those are now gone from my reports across all three bureaus. (In other words...I did the time and waited the 7 years for them to drop)

I never defaulted on American Express or on Discover (they both asked when my wife put me on as an Authorized user on her accounts)

So....What do the wise men/women here think of my chances at a American Express Blue, Chase (something) and Discover IT with limits on each of 2000 or more?

Will it be worth the risk to allow the Hard Inquiries?  If so, does anyone have any current back door numbers I can use in case I need them?

thanks for your time.  Smiley Happy

How is your best buy card a visa? best buy doesnt offer a visa.

Message 9 of 24
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

^^^LMBO thats what i said when i read it 

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.