cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to move up from Amex Green?

tag
ktibghni141

When to move up from Amex Green?

I've had an American Express Green card for a year now, never missed a payment, putting about $300-$500 a month on it. At the time I figured it would be good to get it just to get my foot in the door with them. My current credit score is good (range from 679-686). At this point would it be worth trying for a revolving credit card? I'm not sure right now if points or cash back are better, so I'm eyeing the Amex EveryDay and Blue Cash Everyday. (I don't travel a lot, so airline/hotel points don't matter to me.) Is it worth going for either?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Jlu
Established Contributor

Re: When to move up from Amex Green?

Well it's definitely not worth having the AMEX Green, I can tell you that. I swear they keep that relic of a card around for nostalgia purposes only... $95 for 1pt/$.. At least upgrade to the PRG if you don't qualify for the revolvers.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 2 of 5
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

If i were in your shoes and you could qualify, get an amex ED its better than Green in almost every way. These two things alone make it worth it no AF, and 2x on groceries. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 5
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@ktibghni141 wrote:

I've had an American Express Green card for a year now, never missed a payment, putting about $300-$500 a month on it. At the time I figured it would be good to get it just to get my foot in the door with them. My current credit score is good (range from 679-686). At this point would it be worth trying for a revolving credit card? I'm not sure right now if points or cash back are better, so I'm eyeing the Amex EveryDay and Blue Cash Everyday. (I don't travel a lot, so airline/hotel points don't matter to me.) Is it worth going for either?

don't apply for a revolver before January, maximizing the backdating is worth it. You may want to downgrade to the Senior green has a lower AF.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 5
firesoul453
Contributor

I canceled my amex green before the year was up. Totally not worth the fee!

Got a blue cash rewards. It has better rewards and doesnt charge a fee. I'd recommond switching cards.

My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.