Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to request CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When to request CLI

What are some thoughts on the timing for a Credit Line Increase?  Is there an ideal Usage Rate possibly.  Need the CLI becasue the usage is high on the card and would like to get the higher limit so the Usage rate is lower?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When to request CLI

Ironically, you may have to lower your utilization on the card, (by way of payment) which you want to CLI in order to achieve your goal

Message 2 of 6
sunkissed
Established Contributor

Which card?

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 3 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What are some thoughts on the timing for a Credit Line Increase?  Is there an ideal Usage Rate possibly.  Need the CLI becasue the usage is high on the card and would like to get the higher limit so the Usage rate is lower?

Definitely not if your utilization is high.  CLI's are basd on your credit and income.  Utilzation plays a major role.  See:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Utilization is "Amounts Owed".

It's not so much a matter of timing (you can't just wait for X time to pass and expect a CLI) as it is whether or not your credit versus the creditor's criteria has some headroom for a CLI or your credit improves.  As an example: through applying for cards with Chase I hit my internal limit.  I could have requested CLI's up to my internal limit.  Howeve,r after hitting the internal limit Im not going to get any CLI's until my credit and/or income sufficiently improve to raise my internal limit with Chase.

Message 4 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Definitely not if your utilization is high.  CLI's are basd on your credit and income.  Utilzation plays a major role.  See:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Utilization is "Amounts Owed".

It's not so much a matter of timing (you can't just wait for X time to pass and expect a CLI) as it is whether or not your credit versus the creditpr's criteria has some headroom for a CLI or your credit improves.

Exactly.  OP - try to lower the utilization accross the board to improve those chances.  Make sure your profile is also ideal to qualify.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Generally after six months of regular usage, with low utilization and PIFing every month.  YMMV.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.