cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When would be a good time to apply for a chase credit card?

tag
Gornet
Frequent Contributor

When would be a good time to apply for a chase credit card?

This whole "We do not accept AMEX" thing is kind of annoying and i would like to get a Chase. My AAOA is .5 years and my oldest tradeline is 1 year. When should i apply for a chase card? 

PRG NPSL - Reserve 4.5k - Delta Gold 6.5k - Ritz 6.8k - CSP 5k
My Credit story
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: When would be a good time to apply for a chase credit card?

Your AAOA is .5 as in 6 mos. or 5 mos? or is that supposed to be 5 years? Also following information would help us:

Util:
AAOA: Above question would help XD
Baddies:
Inqs:

Also have you checked their pre-qual?

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 13
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Check the pre qual for sure. If nothing shows up, your account may be a bit too thin. But you can always apply for the Freedom and try to recon.
Message 3 of 13
Gornet
Frequent Contributor

My AAOA is 6 months lol....

No baddies and 1 inq lol

PRG NPSL - Reserve 4.5k - Delta Gold 6.5k - Ritz 6.8k - CSP 5k
My Credit story
Message 4 of 13
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

It's been repeated with lunacy on this board but it still holds true AFAIK. Enter your data on Chase's Prequal Site to see if anything comes up for you. Beyond that IMO it's your decision to press the issue to app Chase and if turned down at first, you can always exercise your option to correspond with some really cooperative Chase Recon Reps. Smiley Wink

With a 6 month AAOA you likely would have to recon if i read them right. Best of luck on your decision for a good outcome should you decide to press ahead but depends on your stats. I do know that a 1 year good history with a Prime CC is to your advantage with them. Is it enough? YMMV  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 13
randeman
Frequent Contributor

If you don't know which card to apply for, try the United card.  The reason I say this is because I think my having the United card was the reason I was approved for my SkyMiles card.  Amex had turned me down three times for the SkyMiles card in a year and once I had carried my United card for a year, they were only too happy to give me the Amex DL gold.  I can't say this for a fact, but the reason that they turned me down three times before approving (which is on my CR) is still there.  Since you have a Delta Amex, it might just help.  Never know until you try.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 6 of 13
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

It's been repeated with lunacy on this board but it still holds true AFAIK. Enter your data on Chase's Prequal Site to see if anything comes up for you. Beyond that IMO it's your decision to press the issue to app Chase and if turned down at first, you can always exercise your option to correspond with some really cooperative Chase Recon Reps. Smiley Wink

With a 6 month AAOA you likely would have to recon if i read them right. Best of luck on your decision for a good outcome should you decide to press ahead but depends on your stats. I do know that a 1 year good history with a Prime CC is to your advantage with them. Is it enough? YMMV  Smiley Happy

I think you might be confusing AAoA with AoOA.

Age of Oldest Account. You only need about 1 year of history for chase, and the AAoA doesn't matter too much unless you have recently apped a lot and it's 1 month or something.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 7 of 13
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

Normally, I'd say that your odds are pretty slim as is your file. However, you may stand a chance in recon with Chase. My best guess is that you won't be instantly approved, because your AAoA is too short and your oldest trade line is only a year old. Given your relationship with AMEX, I think that an underwriter at Chase would most likely approve you. I read your credit story and it looks like you should be ready for another 3x CLI in the beginning of November. If you are successul in another 3x CLI with AMEX and reach the five digit CL territory, I assume that Chase would be more likely to approve you.

Good luck!

Age: 20s | AAoA: 2 yrs | FICO Scores: 700s | Inq: EX: ?, EQ: ?, TR: ? | GARDENING AS OF 06/2014

Message 8 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Gornet wrote:

My AAOA is 6 months lol....

No baddies and 1 inq lol

When did you app for the Amex's? I thought I remember the Delta and then the Reserve a few months ago

Message 9 of 13
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

This is totally out of no where, but can you even have a Gold Delta and a Delta Reserve?

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.