cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When you do a PC do you end up with a completely new acct on CR?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you do a PC do you end up with a completely new acct on CR?

So, I switched my crap BofA gold card to a Worldpoints card. Haven't received it yet, but am curious as to how your accounts report when you do a PC. Does it show an entire different TL with the history from the old one? OR does it just convert the account already showing on your reports.

I lost my BofA card about a year ago. When they sent me a new card, it created a new account on my CR. So even though one is closed, I have 2 BofA cards on my reports.  Is this affecting my average age of accounts? I assume that it would...
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When you do a PC do you end up with a completely new acct on CR?

When I did my product change from the BoA Platinum Plus to the BankAmericard I kept the same tradeline.  All three bureaus just updated with the new CL and kept all of the account history. 
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response!  Does it make a difference if I am going from a visa to a m/c? I swear she said because of that I was getting a new account number.  Would that have an impact?
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think so.  I also got a new acct number (but mine was a visa to a visa swap).

Maybe someone else knows for certain.
Message 4 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

UpUpUp wrote:
Thanks for the response!  Does it make a difference if I am going from a visa to a m/c? I swear she said because of that I was getting a new account number.  Would that have an impact?

Yes, the account number on the card will change when converting from a Visa to a MC. Visa cards begin the number 4, while MCs begin with 5. Even with this happening, the account number reporting to the CRA will (should) remain the same.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

fused wrote:

UpUpUp wrote:

Yes, the account number on the card will change when converting from a Visa to a MC. Visa cards begin the number 4, while MCs begin with 5. Even with this happening, the account number reporting to the CRA will (should) remain the same.

Thanks! 

So why do you suppose that when I lost my visa and they sent me another, I ended up with an entirely different TL on my reports? 
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is normal/not unusual when you report a lost card- 

UpUpUp wrote:

fused wrote:

UpUpUp wrote:

Thanks! 

So why do you suppose that when I lost my visa and they sent me another, I ended up with an entirely different TL on my reports? 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh okay. Maybe a security precaution?
Message 8 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

The CCC would have to issue a card with a new number.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

fused wrote:
The CCC would have to issue a card with a new number.

Well, I understand that part of it. I just don't understand why they report it as a completely sep. tradeline on my credit reports. That's why I was asking if when I do a product change and they issue me a new card number if it's going to report as yet another TL. So basically, when I've only had one BofA credit card this entire time, will it now look as though I had 3?  (Right now it looks like i've had 2, even though one was just a replacement due to the lost card)
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.