Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When you travel domestically

tag
TrialByFire
Established Contributor

Re: When you travel domestically

Barclays most definitely. I live in the boonies and have to drive 45mi any direction to any store. They shut me down quick fast and in a hurry.
Message 11 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I just pack and go. If they let me charge, cool. If they don't, the charge goes to another card. Never happened though. Always go through.

Nice.

I went to Las Vegas once and charged on my Discover card. Got a notif asking if it was fraud, but still went through. 

I was driving to LA from Vegas last week and same thing with Barclay

Message 12 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

With Chase, I let them know when I went up to Maine for a day. I don't know about other companies, but since one hears so much about fraud with Chase (and I have been a victim of it twice already), I rather spend the 5 minutes it takes for me to go online and either set a notification (or send them a message--that's what I did last time for some reason), and let them know I'm only sticking around for one day, than to have more charges go through out-of-state later, and have me have to take care of the fraudulent charge the old fashioned way (waiting ~2 weeks for investigation, etc.).
Message 13 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never bother domestically, and I've never run into any issues--none of my legitimate charges have gotten flagged, but they've always picked up on fraud when it's occurred. Internationally, definitely, and in great detail including layovers... I once ended up with all my cards frozen in an airport in Paris because my travel alert had only included my actual destination (Russia) and not the layover.
Message 14 of 38
amakol
Regular Contributor

Domestic? Never. Even when I went to Hawaii, I just showed up (from the Northeast). At the most, I'll get a fraud text and confirm it's me or use another card. I'd say 98% of the time this doesn't happen, even if I randomly pop up on the grid in Miami or Vegas.

Funny story, I actually let my laziness spill over and didn't put in travel notifications internationally the last couple times. Barclays (of all banks!) and Chase apparently had zero problems with my cards randomly showing up in Costa Rica for 6 weeks even though I've never been there before and I use a different card for all my flights. While it was really nice not to have to call anyone and get my charges approved, it didn't exactly make me feel too secure.

So in my experience, they're not necessary. I'm sure they don't hurt though.

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 15 of 38
L0RDAVENTAD0R
Frequent Contributor

I primarily use my AMEX PRG when I travel (at least once a month domestically and at least once a year internationally) and I don't have to notify them.

The first time I tried notifying them, Customer Service that wasn't needed. Never had a charge declined. One less thing to worry about for me.

Message 16 of 38
laurenjessica
Frequent Contributor

Most banks now say you don't need to call or set a notification if you're traveling domestically. However, I know my mom's Chase card once got denied while we were driving down to FL. We were in GA and she used it at a gas station. Went to use it again at a drive thru and the card was declined. She had to call and tell them that she was traveling.

I usually just set a notification online if I'm traveling. I'd rather save myself the hassle of my card possibly getting turned down (although that's never happened to me yet).

Credit cards:
NUS000000091-480x304-STRAIGHT-96unnamedmissionlanemobileIRIDESCENTpaypal-cashback-credit-card-16373091c11536849downloadvenmoTJX-Rewards-Platinum-Mastercardcardart-prim-645x406
AU Cards:
disney-premier-cardNUS000000327-480x304-STRAIGHT-96NUS000000269-480x304-STRAIGHT-96
Store Cards:
Credit-Card-Large61d9c1a7-5683-4228-8bb4-c2747006069dAPSC-SECUREDCARD-CB658179059Kohls-CC-no-egt-SM-RGBpinkimg093647Paypal-Credit-Logo-Ameri-Commerceimg056321sc-plus-black-Creditcard
Auto loan:
toyota

Actively rebuilding since August 2022.

Starting FICO 8 scores (8/24/2022):

Current FICO 8 scores (2/12/2024):
Message 17 of 38
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

I don't call, but only because most ccs have online functions for notifying them of travel.

I always do let them know, even with domestic travel after having a big shock 10 years or so ago when the only card I had at the time (Discover) suddenly quit working on me because I'd made four successive gas purchases on the road.

Message 18 of 38
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

I rarely notify when traveling domestically or internationally.  I think I notifed my creditors when I went to Europe back in 2005.  Not notifying has bitten me on a domestic trip but that was with a Shell card that I closed many years ago and it was no big deal to rectify IMO.  Didn't have any trouble with a recent trip to New York and an unexpected trip to Japan immediately after that.  YMMV.

If you want to play it safe and not worry over getting declined then notify your creditors.  Don't rely on what other do or do not.

Message 19 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

I rarely notify when traveling domestically or internationally.  I think I notifed my creditors when I went to Europe back in 2005.  Not notifying has bitten me on a domestic trip but that was with a Shell card that I closed many years ago and it was no big deal to rectify IMO.  Didn't have any trouble with a recent trip to New York and an unexpected trip to Japan immediately after that.  YMMV.

If you want to play it safe and not worry over getting declined then notify your creditors.  Don't rely on what other do or do not.

And also remember, as the banks inform you, notification doesn't mean all will be well.   My daughter notified Cap One about her trip to Europe and included her UK cell.  When hse tried to buy something, the charge was declined and Cap One called her US number for fraud verification.  (And surprisingly she wasn't there to answer it!)

Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.