Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When you want to close a card...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you want to close a card...

What is it with CC companies giving you the third degree about closing a CC? When I closed my Barclays card, had me on hold for about an hour. I was so enraged I didn't even want to hear the rentention offer.

Today, Victoria's Secret wouldn't even pick the up the phone. Called six times. Finally got smart and picked the option to buy something and someone picked up and transferred me right over there..good lord. Then she kept asking why I didn't want to keep the card. Ugh. Onto card number 3...
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: When you want to close a card...

@Anonymous wrote:
What is it with CC companies giving you the third degree about closing a CC? When I closed my Barclays card, had me on hold for about an hour. I was so enraged I didn't even want to hear the rentention offer.

Today, Victoria's Secret wouldn't even pick the up the phone. Called six times. Finally got smart and picked the option to buy something and someone picked up and transferred me right over there..good lord. Then she kept asking why I didn't want to keep the card. Ugh. Onto card number 3...

If I don't want a retention offer, I try to close online via SM or, in a few case, a link.  I did this with Barclays the other day

(In fact, once when I DID want an retention offer, I closed online and discovered that that was way too efficient!)

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will keep that in mind, thank you!
Message 3 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I second going with the online option whenever possible. I've used it with Citi and it was ridiculously easy. Sent a message and about five minutes later got a response that the card was closed. No grilling, no annoyance, no hold time. At one time, Capital One and Comenity let you close via the automated phone system without ever speaking to someone, not sure if that's still true, but basically the same idea.

I understand companies want to retain customers, but when you've truly decided the card is useless to you, you just want to close it and move on with your life, not be interrogated.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weird! I just closed my Fidelity Visa card and the rep was the nicest person ever and did it for me in like 3 minutes.

I totally understand the rep wanting to give you a retention offer. But making the customer wait for an hour or not picking up your phone makes them want to close the card even more! Some of these companies are clueless..
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

And after I was on hold an hour she said she had to transfer me but it might be awhile! Crazy.
Message 6 of 13
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know if VS had the option in their online portal, but when I had a J Crew card, Comenity had a Close Account option. Quick, efficient, and I didn't have to talk to anyone on the phone.

I closed my Barclaycard at the same time. I called to close, and other than asking why I was closing, they offered nothing. A week later, I found my account was still open! So, I ended up sending a secured message, and finally it worked. 

Message 7 of 13
ddemari
Super Contributor

No one ever has tried to get me to stay a card member lol. Usually they are just blah and close it and hang up. With synch you can call the robo lady and she will close your card from my experience.
Message 8 of 13
ddemari
Super Contributor

I meant comenity robo lady
Message 9 of 13
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I have yet to close a card, but I hope that I don't have to go through that. I would also prefer to do it online, if it's available. I dislike talking with CS anyway.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.