Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where I stand...suggestions?

tag
ssmith891
New Contributor

Where I stand...suggestions?

My current cards are as follows:

Texans Credit Union World Points Visa Platinum: $1,000 CL (October 2009)

Chevron Gas Card: $300 CL (May 2010)

NTB Service Card: $800 CL (January 2011)

American Express ZYNC: NPSL (January 2011)

American Express Blue Cash Everyday: $6,200 CL (December 2011)

Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature: $5,000 CL (October 2012)

Chase Freedom Visa: $3,000 CL (November 2012)

Discover More: $4,000 CL (November 2012)

The CSP, Freedom, and Discover More have all been applied for in the last month. I'm also wanting to PC my BCE to BCP. I wanted to know if I need to close some store cards, since on my Equifax one of the things it pointed out was department store cards (too many?), or request an increase on some of my cards. My score on Equifax after applying for the last 3 is a 705, Experian is 755. What do you guys think?

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: Where I stand...suggestions?

@ssmith891 wrote:

The CSP, Freedom, and Discover More have all been applied for in the last month. I'm also wanting to PC my BCE to BCP. I wanted to know if I need to close some store cards, since on my Equifax one of the things it pointed out was department store cards (too many?), or request an increase on some of my cards. My score on Equifax after applying for the last 3 is a 705, Experian is 755. What do you guys think?

now that your in primeville i would sock rawer the Texan Credit union, and cancel the gas card and NTB servie card unless thy give you really good benefits you on't want to get rid of.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 2 of 24
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Not sure I'd follow that suggestion; 2 store cards out of 7 seems hardly excessive.  If you don't use them, then sure considering closing them; however, I strongly doubt they're actually harming your FICO score currently at least from what we know anecdotally.

I think you're fine where you're at; I don't think you can PC the BCE to BCP until Jan '13 based on your opening date (CARD act) though I'm admittedly not an expert on the legalese but going from $0 AF to an AF definitely falls under it I think.  Perhaps if you can do a SP CLI (Amex) it might be worthwhile but there's nothing else really you can do and I'd certainly recommend sitting pat with the number of new accounts you have.  If anything I'd request the CLI right now even before the others report.

        
Message 3 of 24
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@ssmith891 wrote:

After reading your scenario,  My only recommendation is to ask for CLIs on the Chevron Card, and the BCE, especially if you haven't ever asked for a CLI. I would also ask the CU for a CLI on your Mastercard, but only if they use a SP to do it. Sock Drawer the Mastercard, a CU card definately comes in handy every once in a while, so definately I would keep it if I were you.  We use my husbands NFCU Platinum MC at Sams and Dollar General since they don't take Visa or Amex.

I agree with Rev,  2 store cards does not seem obsessive if you use them for discounts.  If you plan on switching your gas spending to the BC Amex, then you can look at the sock drawer as an option.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@ssmith891 wrote:

After reading your scenario,  My only recommendation is to ask for CLIs on the Chevron Card, and the BCE, especially if you haven't ever asked for a CLI. I would also ask the CU for a CLI on your Mastercard, but only if they use a SP to do it. Sock Drawer the Mastercard, a CU card definately comes in handy every once in a while, so definately I would keep it if I were you.  We use my husbands NFCU Platinum MC at Sams and Dollar General since they don't take Visa or Amex.

I agree with Rev,  2 store cards does not seem obsessive if you use them for discounts.  If you plan on switching your gas spending to the BC Amex, then you can look at the sock drawer as an option.

+++++1

CLI any GE card every 4-6 months! it's ALWAYS SP, you get no, wait 30 days and do it again!

Amex every 6 months, ask for 3x current unless that takes you over $25k... again always soft, they say no do it again next month!

and tell your CU to get in the game with the standard of credit you have now or sit down on the bench and be quite Smiley Tongue

Don't listen to the stupid online things outside of a Fico report talking about "possible negatives" to many store accounts! that's not true!

Message 5 of 24
ssmith891
New Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

@ssmith891 wrote:

+++++1

CLI any GE card every 4-6 months! it's ALWAYS SP, you get no, wait 30 days and do it again!

Amex every 6 months, ask for 3x current unless that takes you over $25k... again always soft, they say no do it again next month!

and tell your CU to get in the game with the standard of credit you have now or sit down on the bench and be quite Smiley Tongue

Don't listen to the stupid online things outside of a Fico report talking about "possible negatives" to many store accounts! that's not true!

Really I should do 3x my current limit? And both are always soft?

Message 6 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

They are SP and they counter

Message 7 of 24
ssmith891
New Contributor

So request my BCE CL to $18,600? Even though my annual income is around $30K?

Message 8 of 24
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@ssmith891 wrote:

So request my BCE CL to $18,600? Even though my annual income is around $30K?

They will counter-offer  Smiley Happy  Dont worry about it!  the 3X rule is pretty standard...   You likely won't get the full 18.6k, however you will probably get a decent CLI

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 24
ssmith891
New Contributor

They counter offered $8,800. Still not bad I suppose Smiley LOL

So what about my Chevron and Texans CU Visa now?

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.