Valued Contributor
SnackTrader

Re: Where do I go from here? (only have 1 cc)

I think you might have the opposite problem, steelersboy. You have too many tradelines, and I know that for some reason there are mortgage lenders out there that get nervous with so many open credit lines. Your AAoA is also likely suffering with the new accounts. I would wait it out if I were you. Interest rates seem to be rising slowly, and you're going to want your credit score as high as possible to qualify for the best rate.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $22.200, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Chase CSP (4/14) $12,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Forward (12/12) $9,600, Chase Freedom (12/12) $5,000

Last App: April 2, 2014
Frequent Contributor
Steelersboy

thanks

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin
FICO Equifax-741, FICO Transunion-729, FICO Experian-740, Walmart FICO-754
Capital One Platinum|Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Walmart Discover|Sallie Mae MC Goal scores- 760+
Regular Contributor
DrMac210

myjourney wrote:

DrMac210 wrote:

I currently only have one credit card, the PayPal Smart Connect, that I have had for 6+ years

When I initially received the card, I had a credit line of $600.  Unfortunately, at that time, I thought it was best to run up the card and make minimum monthly payments to show the ability to handle credit. 

I then had a Capital 1 judgement hit me six months later and Paypal did a CLD to $400+, which is where the limit has been for the last 5 years.

I came across this site last month and have paid down my utilization to 26% currently, and will have it down to less than 9% by next week.

I am looking at getting my first ever mortgage next summer and am wondering if I need additional credit lines. 

My current myFico scores are 661 EQ and 696 TU. 

With that background, where do I go from here?? 

1) Should I ask GE for a GLI?

2) Apply for different unsecured credit cards?

3) Go for a secure card from local CU?

4) Do Nothing??

Until you can make your CR more attractive I would start with options 1 & 3 to build positive history while working on your CR...IMHO

Paid the balance down to 5% utilization earlier this month, tried today for CLI to $1500, DENIED with no counter offer. 

Looks like I'll be waiting to see what the letter says..............

Starting Score: EQ 641, TU ???, EX ??? (myfico 6/7/13)
Current Score: EQ 771, TU 783, EX 754 (myfico May 2014)
Goal Score: 800 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}