cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I go from here with my Amex cards??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where do I go from here with my Amex cards??

Hello community, this is my second post here, hope it's in the right place. I've gleaned valuable info reading posts and consider this community the in-the-know. So here's my question: I was approved about a month ago for my first Amex, the everyday card. I was given my largest limit ever of 15k. Couldn't believe it. Have a couple Cap 1s, one secured, one with a 7k limit. Decided I wanted the Amex Blue Everyday card. Applied and got a sweet 9100. My question is where do I go from here with these two cards? I read about 3x CLI, but all the reviews were from 1-5k limits being tripled or doubled; I'm close to 25k with Amex which I've read results in increased financial scrutiny. Just curious if anyone started with a large limit and where they went with it. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Where do I go from here with my Amex cards??

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello community, this is my second post here, hope it's in the right place. I've gleaned valuable info reading posts and consider this community the in-the-know. So here's my question: I was approved about a month ago for my first Amex, the everyday card. I was given my largest limit ever of 15k. Couldn't believe it. Have a couple Cap 1s, one secured, one with a 7k limit. Decided I wanted the Amex Blue Everyday card. Applied and got a sweet 9100. My question is where do I go from here with these two cards? I read about 3x CLI, but all the reviews were from 1-5k limits being tripled or doubled; I'm close to 25k with Amex which I've read results in increased financial scrutiny. Just curious if anyone started with a large limit and where they went with it. 

Welcome to the forums.

Congrats on the approvals.  As for asking fr the 3X CLIs, suggest that your read up on this thread; http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/td-p/1811071

You can apply for the 3X CLI regardless of whether your limit is $2K or $20K.  There is no definitive amount of credit limit that causes Amex to request income verificiation so I wouldn't worry about as you can always turn down the request if they ask and you don't want to provide the info.  Also ask yourself though whether you really need an Amex card with for example a $45K limit.  

Message 2 of 4
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you want a CLI wait 61 days and then apply. It's a soft pull. If you get a CLI you have to wait 6 months until your next Amex CLI application.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I read about 3x CLI, but all the reviews were from 1-5k limits being tripled or doubled; I'm close to 25k with Amex which I've read results in increased financial scrutiny. Just curious if anyone started with a large limit and where they went with it. 

What you can qualify for will depend heavily on your credit profile and income.  If you haven't read the 3x CLI Guide then read it.  There's not much more we can say.  It's your call how you proceed and which card you want to focus on increasing the limit.  It's not just 25K that may lead to income verifcation but possibly crossing $35K on all accounts (covered in the 3x CLI Guide).

3x  isn't what you will get.  It used to be a cap where requests were denied.  What you will get depends on what you qualify for.  You cannot simply rely on the exeperiences of others to determine what you will get.

@Anonymous wrote:

Just curious if anyone started with a large limit and where they went with it. 

I have an SPG that started at $25K.  I haven't done anything with it.  I don't need or want it to be higher.  Two other older cards started out lower but I got them to $25K and stopped there.

However, you need to decide based on your needs/wants.  Your credit profile and income will determine what you qualify for.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.