Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I start?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where do I start?

I want to start building my credit help insure that I get the lowest rates and advantages to having good credit.  I am recently out of college, but have had some established credit over the last few years, more so than the average college grad.  I will be getting married next year, and wanting to get into a new house/car not long after.What is the best way to raise my scores?  I have no significant outstanding debt(ie student loans) and 2 credit cards with a combined 2500 limit.  Would going after store cards with high limits be a good move?  I almost never fail to pay my cc balances in full at the end of each month, and have no dings from late payments of any kind from any tv, utility company, etc.  To the best of my knowledge, I have good credit.  What direction should I be moving?  Thanks for the input.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Where do I start?

I would try to get CLIs on your current cards and then apply for one more card.  If you need a car now, you could get one now and then after that + your three cards have been reporting for over a year, you will probably be great for further loans.  Of course, if you don't need a car now, you could probably get by with just the 3 revolving accounts.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 17
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Welcome.  FIrst thing you need to do, if you havent already done so is go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of your free credit reports.  This will give you an idea of whats on your reports.  Id also suggest getting your FICO scores from this site so we can know what scores you have right now.  Our recommendations will depend on what bad accounts (lates), collections, charge offs, bankruptcies, liens and/or judgments you have on your reports.

Also, there are some really good sticky threads on this site you should read. 

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I just did finish registering, I have a 687 Equifax.  With the only bad thing being my length of credit history, which I knew would by my biggest obstacle.  I have no bad accounts or any negative marks on my credit report.  I do have a couple thousand dollars on a jewelry store card that is 9 mos 0% interest, from a recent purchase.  That makes 3 accounts, with 2 of the 3 having a current zero balance.  Only 1 credit inquiry on a CLI from WF that I requested back in 02/2012.  That is pretty much it...

Message 4 of 17
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, I just did finish registering, I have a 687 Equifax.  With the only bad thing being my length of credit history, which I knew would by my biggest obstacle.  I have no bad accounts or any negative marks on my credit report.  I do have a couple thousand dollars on a jewelry store card that is 9 mos 0% interest, from a recent purchase.  That makes 3 accounts, with 2 of the 3 having a current zero balance.  Only 1 credit inquiry on a CLI from WF that I requested back in 02/2012.  That is pretty much it...

I would app for American Express Zync.  Given your age, thin file (as long as you have had card 6months to year you are ok), and credit score you are the ideal candiate for this card.  (Amex designed the card for your profile.)  If you are instantly approved for Zync you may want to try applying for one of their co-branded cards like the Delta Skymiles cards.  If you are declined it will only be a soft pull.  Additionally, I would app for Walmart Discover card (you can get CLI every 4 months) and Chase Freedom/Discover More card.

Those cards should set you up and then you can farm them for a year.

Message 5 of 17
gettnthere
Established Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I would app for American Express Zync.  Given your age, thin file (as long as you have had card 6months to year you are ok), and credit score you are the ideal candiate for this card.  (Amex designed the card for your profile.)  If you are instantly approved for Zync you may want to try applying for one of their co-branded cards like the Delta Skymiles cards.  If you are declined it will only be a soft pull.  Additionally, I would app for Walmart Discover card (you can get CLI every 4 months) and Chase Freedom/Discover More card.

that sounds like a great start! good advice

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 17
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

This all sounds like solid advice, however, when are you planning to buy a house? You shouldn't apply for any new credit for at least a year in advance of the mortgage applications.

As for the recommended cards, you probably don't need that many. Are you interested in getting in with Amex? If so, the Zync is the way to go. I would forego the Walmart Discover, and just try for a Chase Freedom/Discover More card for the cashback!

Message 7 of 17
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@scientifics wrote:

This all sounds like solid advice, however, when are you planning to buy a house? You shouldn't apply for any new credit for at least a year in advance of the mortgage applications.

As for the recommended cards, you probably don't need that many. Are you interested in getting in with Amex? If so, the Zync is the way to go. I would forego the Walmart Discover, and just try for a Chase Freedom/Discover More card for the cashback!

He stated in original post he was looking to buy house after he got married in a year.  So the apps should be fine by then.

I suggested Walmart Discover because he wanted to grow CL.  This is probably the best card for that (well Delta Skymiles with 3x CLI in 61 days after activation).

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@scientifics wrote:

@Duncanrr wrote:

At this point, I won't be buying a house within the next 30 mos.  That should give me at least a year and a half before I need to not apply for more credit, correct?  Is the goal to rack up as much credit as possible with the highest CL and best UTL?  Or at some point does it not help anymore.  Aftew reviewing some of my new found info, I realized that the jewelry store card, which I see now is actually backed by Wells Fargo (where I have my other CC and checking/savings) I was approved for 10,300.  So essentially, I have a card with the jewelry store with a 10,000 limit.  Once I pay that new ring off, my UTL should go through the roof.  I may have a much better score than I realize in the next couple months.  Am I on track here or am I missing something?

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@scientifics wrote:

@Duncanrr wrote:

At this point, I won't be buying a house within the next 30 mos.  That should give me at least a year and a half before I need to not apply for more credit, correct?  Is the goal to rack up as much credit as possible with the highest CL and best UTL?  Or at some point does it not help anymore.  Aftew reviewing some of my new found info, I realized that the jewelry store card, which I see now is actually backed by Wells Fargo (where I have my other CC and checking/savings) I was approved for 10,300.  So essentially, I have a card with the jewelry store with a 10,000 limit.  Once I pay that new ring off, my UTL should go through the roof.  I may have a much better score than I realize in the next couple months.  Am I on track here or am I missing something?

Maybe "hit rock bottom" would make more sense.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.