cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where have you used your EMV chip in the US?

tag
L-TWT
Established Contributor

Where have you used your EMV chip in the US?

This morning I went over to my local "mom-n-pop" florist to purchase some X-mas items, and BAM....they inserted my card in the ACTIVE EMV READER, I was surprised. Next stop, headed over to the grocery store, same thing happened. I know the 2015 deadline is right around the corner, but since the holiday shopping season has kicked off, I am starting to see a lot of EMV Reader's. By the way, I'm from NY!!!

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
MrFlower
New Contributor

Re: Where have you used your EMV chip in the US?

The only place locally I've seen a terminal which supports EMV is 7-11; however, it seems to not be active. I've ocsionally tried it since getting emv in my amx plat and not once has the machine reacted to my card being inside it Smiley Tongue.

Message 2 of 24
blondy250
Established Contributor

Yes best buy, starbucks and 7-11, I've use my amex plat with chip.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 3 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@blondy250 wrote:

Yes best buy, starbucks and 7-11, I've use my amex plat with chip.

Anyone tried with chip&pin?

Message 4 of 24
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

I personally have never seen a place that accepts chip and pin or maybe I just haven't noticed. Have a bunch of cards with chip but never used it or been to Europe, would definitely want to use that feature sometime.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 5 of 24
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

Funny. I was wondering about that a few weeks ago. I have never seen any place that has the device in the US. I have only used outside the US so far (Mexico and Colombia). 

Message 6 of 24
MACFRME
Frequent Contributor

I feel like I came very close the other day. I was eating at a German place here in Texas. The guy brought out the bill and I put my card in the folder. He comes up and brings a portable terminal with him, like they do in Europe. It had a spot for EMV, and the CSP I used had a chip. He did not swipe it EMV, mostly likely because he does not usually encounter those type of cards. But, it did have spot to insert a chipped card.
Cards I Carry
$7.5K $23K $5k $300(SEC) $500 $300 $1,500 $800 $800
Total Available Credit: $39.7k | FICOS: EX 659 | EQ 661 | TU 673
Message 7 of 24
bribro
Valued Contributor

My local Target has an EMV reader.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 8 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Does it allow you to swipe a chipped card, or does it insist the reader is used?

Message 9 of 24
nyancat
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Does it allow you to swipe a chipped card, or does it insist the reader is used?

If it's active, it'll insist on the chip being used. Without that check, EMV is pointless.

Now, I'm suspicious of the people saying they've used it at Best Buy (has EMV readers, but I've never seen one active) and at Starbucks (doesn't have EMV readers in my neck of the woods at least) in the US. In Canada? Of course.

Using the stripe doesn't count as using it for this purpose, that will obviously work.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.