Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to start with credit?

tag
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Where to start with credit?

@Anonymous wrote:

Just wanted to give a little update and say that I applied for the card I mentioned earlier (Citi Dividend Platinum Select Visa Card for College Students) and got approved instantly for a $4k limit.  My APR after the initial 0% for 7 months is 19.99%, but that doesn't matter to me as I'll never carry much of a balance, if any at all.  Glad I can finally start my credit history.

Congrats!

Message 21 of 23
smc733
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just wanted to give a little update and say that I applied for the card I mentioned earlier (Citi Dividend Platinum Select Visa Card for College Students) and got approved instantly for a $4k limit.  My APR after the initial 0% for 7 months is 19.99%, but that doesn't matter to me as I'll never carry much of a balance, if any at all.  Glad I can finally start my credit history.

Citi does an account review every 9 months, and there's a good chance that 19.99% APR won't last for long.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 22 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Not to hijack this thread, (and not to hijack it with this answer, either) but I'm about in the same boat except that I don't even have the benefit of loans, so my credit history has zip/null/nada on it.  I'm 22, just out of college, and well-employed (middle x0,000s) and I have no credit history.  Yes, dumb, I know.  No student loans either.

I've been looking around trying to find the best cards that I could conceivably be approved for and would help build my credit.  I'm pretty much a total newcomer to the credit field, so I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for.  My eventual hope is to get Amex Blue, so I've been considering an Amex Zync, but I've been pre-approved at my bank (US Bank) for a Visa Platinum card, so I'm not sure if that is worth considering as well?  USBank Visa Platinum is a great card and USBank has lots of fans on these forums!  Also, they pre-approve based on your history with them so that's a great starting point when you don't have a credit history.  That being said, the fine print on their pre-approvals states that they may or may not pull your credit report.

I'm hesitant to apply for credit cards because if I'm not mistaken, credit card rejections are recorded on your credit history (not true) and I'd rather not get started off on the wrong foot. Smiley Sad

Thanks!  Best wishes!

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.