Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which AMEX card is better?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which AMEX card is better?

I didn't realize they had an AMEX everyday cash and an AMEX blue cash preferred. So which one is better in your opinon? I wanted this card a few months back but I was denied for it but hopefully by next august, it will be a part of my collection Smiley Happy

6 REPLIES 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Which AMEX card is better?

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't realize they had an AMEX everyday cash and an AMEX blue cash preferred. So which one is better in your opinon? I wanted this card a few months back but I was denied for it but hopefully by next august, it will be a part of my collection Smiley Happy

So Amex has a family of cashback cards and a family of MR point credit cards

Blue Cash                                                                                     

Blue Cash Everyday                                                  Amex Everyday

Blue Cash Preferred ($95 AF)                                 Amex Everyday Preferred ($95)

So the first question is whether you want cash back, or can sensibly use MR points (which can have a greater value than 1c per point)

Then determine where you spend, and decide if the additional earn rate of the AF card justifies paying the fee.

For some, the Everyday Preferred is one of the best cards out there.   But if you don't travel, or the MR partners aren't right for you, or you don't have flexible travel dates for reward travel, it's not so good.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have both cards and I prefer the BCP card even though there is a $95 annual fee because of the 6% groceries, 3% gasoline, and 1% everything else.  The ED card is okay if you like doing small transacations all the time to get the bonus points, but I don't do twenty transactions a month, so I don't benefit from having the card.  On the bright side, however, the ED card doesn't have an annual fee. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you spend over $120 a month on groceries alone that pays for the annual fee. To make it worthwhile over free one, you have to spend 200-300 groceries, and the Dept stores give you some that the fee free doesn't. If you buy your fuel gift cards at the supermarket and grab that 6% instead of the lower percentage you get by swiping at the pump. That's the easy way to boost it up for a "common man" we shall say.
Message 4 of 7
dragontears
Senior Contributor

As fordguy said the "better" one depends on your spending, if you spend a lot at grocery stores that amex codes as grocery stores (i.e. Walmart never codes as grocery store by Amex) then the preferred (annual fee) card would be better. If you are single and don't spend a lot then the free one would be better. You just need to run the numbers on your spend.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

BCP because groceries Smiley Very Happy
Message 6 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@dragontears wrote:
As fordguy said the "better" one depends on your spending, if you spend a lot at grocery stores that amex codes as grocery stores (i.e. Walmart never codes as grocery store by Amex) then the preferred (annual fee) card would be better. If you are single and don't spend a lot then the free one would be better. You just need to run the numbers on your spend.

Yes, looks like due to the wonderful branding decisions by Amex, there are different understandings of the OPs questions.   If it is: BCP vs BCE, then dragontears and fordguy have supplied the answer.   If it is BCP vs ED (which now sounds unlikely), then the question of cash vs points has to be answered as well.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.