Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which AMEX is best...for YOU?

tag
Repairman
Established Contributor

Re: Which AMEX is best?

@Anonymous wrote:

I went for BCP because we always will buy at least $6k in groceries. So the difference between what I can earn on the BCE and BCP is $180, so the annual fee is worthwhile. ETA: We paired it with a SM for the overflow.

I'm sorry, what is "SM?"

Message 21 of 63
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

"Best reward structure" is the BCP, the cash earning rate on spend up to $6k groceries is quite good, just don't stop before you reach $6k for the year. The EDP is the points earning winner, again, don't stop swiping until you reach 30 every month, and don't quit buying groceries until you pass $6k for the year.

As everyone says, subjective.  I think the OBC is much better than the BCP, but that is because of my spending patterns

Message 22 of 63
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Repairman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I went for BCP because we always will buy at least $6k in groceries. So the difference between what I can earn on the BCE and BCP is $180, so the annual fee is worthwhile. ETA: We paired it with a SM for the overflow.

I'm sorry, what is "SM?"

SM = Sallie Mae (card issued by Barclays...very popular on this forum) Smiley Happy

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 23 of 63
Repairman
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

As everyone says, subjective.  I think the OBC is much better than the BCP, but that is because of my spending patterns

What is OBC?

Message 24 of 63
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Repairman wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

What is OBC?

Old Blue Cash, an earlier version of the BCP that is still available.

Message 25 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Repairman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

"Best" is a very subjective answer. 

I guess I'm looking for the card that gives you the most bang for your buck, and that can include sign up bonus offers...excluding any card that is SOLELY for airline miles.

The reason why "best" is subjective is that "bang for your buck" depends on your spend patterns. If you spend $100k on groceries per year, OBC is going to be amazing for you. If it is only $6k, BCP is probably best. If you don't spend much on groceries, but travel a lot, another card will be preferable. If you want any useful feedback other than a listing of popular cards, we will need to know your approximate monthly spend patterns (amounts and types of stores), as well as any cards that you already have. 

Message 26 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is completely subjective.  I, for example, don't travel enough to justify a MR card so I would call BCE, BCP or OBC the better cards (personally BCE fits the bill for me because I don't spend enough to justify OBC or to overtake the annual fee for a BCP).  Other people travel all the time so the MR cards are the better cards to them.

Message 27 of 63
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is completely subjective.  I, for example, don't travel enough to justify a MR card so I would call BCE, BCP or OBC the better cards (personally BCE fits the bill for me because I don't spend enough to justify OBC or to overtake the annual fee for a BCP).  Other people travel all the time so the MR cards are the better cards to them.

Right, this is said a lot (mainly by takeshi!)  but the questions still get posted, which is the best card/which is the best issuer.

If everyone agreed, we would all either have that card, or be trying to bring up scores to the needed level.   Best card depends on your goals and your spending patterns.

That said, there ARE some cards that are hard to justify, as there are other cards that are better in (almost) every way, but that's more like worst card than best.  And even then, people come come up with scenarios where such cards can be justified.

Message 28 of 63
EddieK
Established Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:
+1 best depends on what is best for the users needs. The only difference between 1 amex and the other are the benefits for your needs. Example. my friend just got the mercedes amex.

What a waste. even he has 24k limit. it is useless. he has to spend 5k a year to get a 500 dollar certificate for a new mercedes. it will take a lot of those certificates to be usefull. as will my Delta. i already have 60k miles. which i can use pretty much on any flight. even if i must pay cash in addtion on international flights. but hey. that is what is best for me. again. Best is in eye of beholder.

Agreed about the MB Amex.  Plus, you're going to have to break it to your friend that those certificates expire a year from when their issued too so in theory you'd be receiving $500 off a new MB with those certificates.  If you could accrue them and use multiple on one purchase it'd have a lot more value.  

Starting Scores:
1/19/14:

1/28/14:
2/12/14:
Current Scores:
7/10/19:
12/17/16:
9/05/17:
Message 29 of 63
taxi818
Super Contributor

Wow. Did not even know about expiration of them. He was so glad to show his mb amex. I said. It's garbage. Hehehe. He said maybe. But it looks good. I shook my head and walked away.
Message 30 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.