Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which AMEX should I app for?

tag
NewBreed
New Contributor

Which AMEX should I app for?

Ok my birthday is in July and I know I'm supposed to be gardening. But I want a birthday gift and plus I'm getting married soon and I want an AMEX preferably NPSL card to charge the larger items to the card and PIF (I always PIF anyway) I've apped for AMEX 2 or 3 times this year and denied each times even on recon because obviously I wasn't established enough

QUIZZLE (which I really love) shows my EXP @ 694 as of 5/22
Transunion from a CR pulled from my employer shows a 704
IDK my EQU score

But I've recently apped a ton and got approved for FREEDOM 2K (highest limit) and IT 1K limit cards..

I have 2 CAP ONE (1secure 1.5K and 1 unsecured 0.5K)

3 baddies, 2 of which I paid last year August and 1 I paid this year Jan.. Also I PIF all 3

I do see my scores jumping up once my new cards start reporting.... But I want ANY Amex I could get to add it to my real estate of cards and I'll cancel out both my CAP 1 when I'm approved cause their limits suck..

What should I do... I want GREEN but everyone's saying PRG (idk what PRG is??)

Help

Will I qualify?
Cap One Cash Back UnSecured: 1.5K
Chase Freedom: 2k
Chase Slate: 2k
Discover IT: 1K.
AmEx Green: NPSL
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Which AMEX should I app for?

PRG = Premier Rewards Gold.

All the Amex charge cards have same / very similar underwriting requirements, supposedly.

If you think you spend enough on the card to justify the AF, definitely go for it.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@NewBreed wrote:
Ok my birthday is in July and I know I'm supposed to be gardening. But I want a birthday gift and plus I'm getting married soon and I want an AMEX preferably NPSL card to charge the larger items to the card and PIF (I always PIF anyway) I've apped for AMEX 2 or 3 times this year and denied each times even on recon because obviously I wasn't established enough

@QUIZZLE (which I really love) shows my EXP @ 694 as of 5/22
Transunion from a CR pulled from my employer shows a 704
IDK my EQU score

But I've recently apped a ton and got approved for FREEDOM 2K (highest limit) and IT 1K limit cards..

I have 2 CAP ONE (1secure 1.5K and 1 unsecured 0.5K)

3 baddies, 2 of which I paid last year August and 1 I paid this year Jan.. Also I PIF all 3

I do see my scores jumping up once my new cards start reporting.... But I want ANY Amex I could get to add it to my real estate of cards and I'll cancel out both my CAP 1 when I'm approved cause their limits suck..

What should I do... I want GREEN but everyone's saying PRG (idk what PRG is??)

Help

Will I qualify?

How many INQ's have you had in the last 3 months? I think you were advised to garden to age both cards and INQ's could be wrong tho.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 9
NewBreed
New Contributor

Do you think I'll qualify for PRG in July??

Also I've finally checked my reports and EXP is only showing 11 Inqs within the past year
Cap One Cash Back UnSecured: 1.5K
Chase Freedom: 2k
Chase Slate: 2k
Discover IT: 1K.
AmEx Green: NPSL
Message 4 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

IMO, no you won't get approved. For Amex to tell you that you don't have enough rev history probably means they want to see at least ) 6 mos from denial.

How new are the Freedom and Discover?
Message 5 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

@NewBreed wrote:

Also I've finally checked my reports and EXP is only showing 11 Inqs within the past year

that is a lot of inquiries. You should garden Smiley Surprised

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@NewBreed wrote:

Way to many time to head back to the garden IMHO

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 9
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
IMO, no you won't get approved. For Amex to tell you that you don't have enough rev history probably means they want to see at least ) 6 mos from denial.

How new are the Freedom and Discover?

+1

I don't see a Amex approval for you in the near future.  I think you would do GREAT if you gardened those accounts for at least 6 months with NO NEW inqs.  Smiley Happy

It's not always easy to garden but it does a world of good for the credit profile.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 8 of 9
HiLine
Blogger

If you need to purchase large value items, you could temporarily lift the limit on a revolver by paying in excess of the balance. If you want to buy a necklace that costs 3k, you can pay 2k to your Freedom to make the limit 4k. How's that? Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.