Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which AMEX?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which AMEX?

Hey all,

I currently have three AMEX cards: Everyday, Blue Cash, and Green card.

I've been using my Everyday card as my daily driver and I pay it off in full every month. The Blue Cash I use for any longer term purchases that I want to pay over time (balance is under $300). The Green card I barely use but when I do, obviously pay in full each month.

I wanted some thoughts on what products (if any) I should product change into that may better suit my needs or perhaps yield better rewards. I spend around $2000 a month on my Everyday card currently.

My FICO score is 768. 

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Which AMEX?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all,

I currently have three AMEX cards: Everyday, Blue Cash, and Green card.

I've been using my Everyday card as my daily driver and I pay it off in full every month. The Blue Cash I use for any longer term purchases that I want to pay over time (balance is under $300). The Green card I barely use but when I do, obviously pay in full each month.

I wanted some thoughts on what products (if any) I should product change into that may better suit my needs or perhaps yield better rewards. I spend around $2000 a month on my Everyday card currently.

My FICO score is 768. 

Thanks in advance!

I'd say the Everyday and Everyday preferred cards are amex's two best. If you have an everyday card, cancel the amex green. you're throwing away $95 for nothing. You get better rewards on the everyday card. 

I'd say your biggest advantage for rewards is to simply SAVE $95 a year by closing the green. 

Message 2 of 17
Luscher
Valued Contributor

PRG is better than Green times 100
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luscher wrote:
PRG is better than Green times 100

Yeah I'm pretty sure the Green card is just around for nostalgia reasons.

Message 4 of 17
MT936
Established Contributor

blue cash everyday/preferred is the best amex card

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I just don't think I'd use it enough to justify the higher annual fee. 

Message 6 of 17
jsucool76
Super Contributor

There is no "the best" amex card. 

IT's all about what OP plans on doing. Getting cash back, getting FF/Hotel points for travel, or carrying a balance. 

What's the APR on your blue cash? If you plan on having a card to carry balances over time I would recommend NOT doing it on a rewards card unless it happens to have an intro APR period. Something like the barclaycard ring, or a card from a CU might serve you better. That is, unless, you have a ridiculously low APR on your blue cash. 

Message 7 of 17
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@MT936 wrote:

I would have to disagree with that statment, if you are going for MR points those cards obviously aren't that good. If you are looking out for MR points i think PRG or everyday are both really good cards. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 8 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@MT936 wrote:

I would have to disagree with that statment, if you are going for MR points those cards obviously aren't that good. If you are looking out for MR points i think PRG or everyday are both really good cards. 

And some of us think the BCE is a fairly useless card (compared to e.g. Sallie Mae)

Message 9 of 17
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@MT936 wrote:

And some of us think the BCE is a fairly useless card (compared to e.g. Sallie Mae)

It is but this was about amex cards!!! 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.