Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Amex card I''s right for me ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which Amex card I''s right for me ?

If you don't travel, you should not waste your time with Membership Rewards.  Your redemption values will generally never be better than 1 cent per point and could be lower (for example, redeeming for Starbucks gift cards gives you 0.7 cents per point).  Add in the fact that for the ED card, your points earning will never be higher than 2.2 MR per dollar spent, and it's just absolutely the wrong card for you.

If you get the BCE, you know exactly what your cash back will be worth.  And you can earn as much as 3 cents per dollar spent.  If you upgrade to the BCP, then you can get 6 cents per dollar spent.  Unless you change your mind about traveling, you'd be leaving money on the table with the ED card.

Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have already done all of the research on the nice Credit limit increases with Amex.

This is one of the main reasons that I like the company and want to get one of their cards.

In the end, its all about the credit score.

Thanks for your response

Message 22 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the information.

I will def be apping for the BCE card.

What you said makes alot of good sense to me, and I def agree !

Message 23 of 30
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Oh yeah to answer your questions about scores being good enough. I'll talk about my friend's story of applying for it through PMs. He wouldn't want his story on a public forum lol.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 24 of 30
Cashbackjunky
Established Contributor

@Bluefooted, I wish you the best of luck applying for the BCE, I have the BCP and absolutely LOVE it!

Please keep this thread informed with your outcome.

When are you going to app?
Cheers!
AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $20k | | AmEx Cash Magnet - $20k | | Apple Card - $29k | | BofA Customized Cash - $96k | | BofA Customized Cash - $25k | | BofA Unlimited Cash - $30k | | CapOne Quicksilver - $16.25k | | CapOne Venture - $30k | | Chase Amazon - $26.7k | | Chase Freedom Unlimited - $24k | | Chase Freedom - $16k | | Chase Freedom Flex - $41k | | Citi Custom Cash - $17.9k | | Citi Rewards+ - $15.4k | | Discover It Cash Back - $18k | | Discover It Cash Back - $21.3k | |Discover It Travel - $14.5k | | Elan Max Cash Preferred- $15k | | PayPal Cashback Mastercard - $20k | | PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature - $12.5k | | PenFed Power Cash - $12.5k | | Synchrony Discount Tire Card - $25k | | Wells Fargo Autograph - $25k
837 INQ:
836 INQ:
825 INQ:

TCL: $571.05k CCs:23 AAoA: 6yr 1mo Util: ~1% Derog: 0

Mortgage: $215.1k Sonata Lease: $1.3k Palisade: $23.8k
Message 25 of 30
Cashbackjunky
Established Contributor

@Bluefooted, do you spend more than approximately $3,167 per year (or $264 per month) on groceries? If you do, I would definitely recommend getting the Blue Cash Preferred over the Blue Cash Everyday as the rewards structure is better and you'll earn more.

Plus the sign up bonus is better (if you open the BCP page incognito, you might be able to see the offer for the BCP as $250 after spending $1,000).

Good luck!
Cheers!
AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $20k | | AmEx Cash Magnet - $20k | | Apple Card - $29k | | BofA Customized Cash - $96k | | BofA Customized Cash - $25k | | BofA Unlimited Cash - $30k | | CapOne Quicksilver - $16.25k | | CapOne Venture - $30k | | Chase Amazon - $26.7k | | Chase Freedom Unlimited - $24k | | Chase Freedom - $16k | | Chase Freedom Flex - $41k | | Citi Custom Cash - $17.9k | | Citi Rewards+ - $15.4k | | Discover It Cash Back - $18k | | Discover It Cash Back - $21.3k | |Discover It Travel - $14.5k | | Elan Max Cash Preferred- $15k | | PayPal Cashback Mastercard - $20k | | PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature - $12.5k | | PenFed Power Cash - $12.5k | | Synchrony Discount Tire Card - $25k | | Wells Fargo Autograph - $25k
837 INQ:
836 INQ:
825 INQ:

TCL: $571.05k CCs:23 AAoA: 6yr 1mo Util: ~1% Derog: 0

Mortgage: $215.1k Sonata Lease: $1.3k Palisade: $23.8k
Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the information.

I will def be apping for the BCE card.

What you said makes alot of good sense to me, and I def agree !

Looks like you've already made your decision, but another point is that how much would you put on the card should also be considered.

ED(P) only works for middle-ish spending, i.e. you spend enough to make the accumulated points actually useful, but not so much that you can't burn them down. Namely, most meaningful redemptions require a certain amount of MR points per pop (such as around 60K to 65K MRs for a busniess RT ticket to HI) and if you can't earn that kind of points in a reasonably short amount of time your points (or reminder of your points) would just sit there until you hit that amount and do nothing for you. On the otherhand if you spend A LOT then you might have trouble using them as fast as you are earning them (i.e. you only have that much time per year to fly/stay on your own dime/points and those are not enough). In both cases you are forced to leave the points in AMEX's hands without collecting any interest while facing inflation (usually called devaluation when talking about CC points).

BCE(P), however, works for most kinds of spending, since you can cash out as soon as having $25 of CB and you can also cash out as much as you'd like.

Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just paid off my Lowes ccd, so I will apply for the BCE as soon as the statement posts.
Message 28 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spend approx $120 per month on actual groceries, but could make up the difference buying Visa plain vanilla debt cards from a grocery store to pay my bills.
How does that sound ?
Would this be a good idea to make the BCP card worth my time ?
Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for that insight !
That Def makes a lot of sense to me.

I would Def rather be able to get my cash back
at my own discretion, rather than having MR points just sitting around doing nothing for me.
Cash is king right ?

Also, the cash back on the BCE card will not expire, right ?
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.