Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Amex would you recommend?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which Amex would you recommend?

It is my desire to get an AMEX... I am not very pressed to go platinum or anything else, but a simple green card would make me happy. What scores do you recommend before applying?

My current scores are TU 648 EFX 640 EXP 618

i have come a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way. I was a 415 at the lowest point in my life a couple of years ago. i only have 1 CC (Orchard), my mortgage, student loan, one small personal loan I took out for LASIX (no interest 24 mth.). I do still have some baddies w/ late payments, but pretty much all are paid off. Just waiting for them to drop off.

Should I apply for a clear or blue? Should I wait a few more months? I believe I will be in the 690's 700' by June 2009.

Message Edited by llecs on 12-10-2008 11:36 AM
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Which Amex would you recommend?

i wouldn't apply for a green with anything less than a 650.  they often pull ex and maybe tu or eq too.

I can't recommend amex revolvers in this climate unless your scores are >720 and you pif.  even with that, you have a higher probability of AA with Amex than with almost any other issuer.

Goto whogavemecredit to check stats of others who were approved and denied and see what you think.

Message Edited by score_building on 12-10-2008 08:56 AM
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 4 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

RLL1171, I split your post off and moved it here. If you'd like to change the title, click "Options" and then click "Edit Message".
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Sorry i posted in the wrong section. I appreciate it.
Message 3 of 10
score_building
Senior Contributor

i wouldn't apply for a green with anything less than a 650.  they often pull ex and maybe tu or eq too.

I can't recommend amex revolvers in this climate unless your scores are >720 and you pif.  even with that, you have a higher probability of AA with Amex than with almost any other issuer.

Goto whogavemecredit to check stats of others who were approved and denied and see what you think.

Message Edited by score_building on 12-10-2008 08:56 AM
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 4 of 10
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

690 to be on the safe, but do you really desire an AMEX card? I don't find them a big deal compared to what they used to be back then. Their way of assessing risk is ridiculous.
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

"...probability of AA w/ American Express"?
Message 6 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

There are downsides and upsides with an AMEX revolver.  make sure you really want want one, be prepared for a FR, and don't complain if you get one because you have been warned!!

Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by MidnightVoice on 12-10-2008 11:05 AM
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got it! Adverse Action....

I definitely dont want that! I have had enough drama to last m a life time....dealing with my personal credit.

Message 8 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

MidnightVoice wrote:

There are downsides and upsides with an AMEX revolver.  make sure you really want want one, be prepared for a FR, and don't complain if you get one because you have been warned!!

Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by MidnightVoice on 12-10-2008 11:05 AM

MV Amex Warning: Use of an Amex CC may result in a FR and/or AA. Consult with a myFICO CC guru before applying for one. Use this CC at your own risk.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, we have some cautious credit customers on this board.

Better safe than sorry, though.

Kudos 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.