cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Balance does Amex charge cards report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which Balance does Amex charge cards report?

Is it 

A. statement ending balance

or

B. total monthly charges

and does it benefit me to not start paying down a balance before the end of a billing cycle if it is my highest balance?

The balance exceeds any other credit limits I currently have and was thinking I could use this to help with a CLI.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which Balance does Amex charge cards report?

A.

If you are trying to set your high balance for the older FICO scoring models, then you would not get a benefit from paying down early. If you already have your high balance set, then it would benefit you for those older models.

By letting a new high balance report you might be lowering your score on the older models. If you are looking for a CLI on another card that uses an older FICO score for consideration of a CLI then you might be hurting your chances. Letting a high score report one month, then nothing report the next month might be the best course of action in this case.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 2 of 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Also Amex is known for running 1 month behind what the balance is on your statement and what gets reported.

And like other poster mentioned, only the TU08 I believe it is doesn't calculate the util right for the Charge cards, but all other reports do so I just wouldn't worry about it at all unless you are trying to squeeze through a tiny hole to get approved for a mortgage and another balance would get you declined.

Message 3 of 4
teenastie
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Also Amex is known for running 1 month behind what the balance is on your statement and what gets reported.

And like other poster mentioned, only the TU08 I believe it is doesn't calculate the util right for the Charge cards, but all other reports do so I just wouldn't worry about it at all unless you are trying to squeeze through a tiny hole to get approved for a mortgage and another balance would get you declined.

I believe CA means TU98 Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.