cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Banks Love or Hate You? Share Your Experiences Here...

tag
randeman
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which Banks Love or Hate You? Share Your Experiences Here...

Loves me

Discover:  toy increases every three months, but makes me feel appreciated.  Stellar customer service.

Citi:  No trouble opening custom credit line.  Fairly small limit and I can't pay it through the ATMs but not enough of a drawback to rate it neutral.

Likes me a lot

Macy's:  star rewards discounts are nice.  Moderate limit which I haven't gone near.  Now that I have spent $3500 in a year, am an "elite" card holder which takes me to the front of the line when I call with always free shipping and returns.  Won't approve a CLI without what could be a hard or soft pull.

Neutral 

Bloomingdale's:  opened with a tiny limit but can't approve a CLI without what could end up being a hard or soft pull.  They say they won't know if it's hard or soft until they try it.  Don't want to "waste" a hard pull so I don't try.  Same as Macy's.

Hates me

Capital One.  The name says it all.  No CLIs of any kind.  Card is in the sock drawer.  Thinking about closing it since it has an AF.

Don't know yet

Barclay's.  Haven't had the card long enough to know.  Customer service has been good and credit limit works for me.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 21 of 38
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Randeman Barclays will do account reviews every 6 months for possible CLIs as long as your report is good and your history with the card is good.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 22 of 38
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

Good idea for a thread!

I've always gotten lots of love from:

Wells Fargo: They've been very generous with credit for me; I think it's because I've had deposit accounts in good standing with them for a very long time.

Discover: This is my oldest account; it just passed its 12th birthday. When times were tough for me a few years back, they could have closed my account like all my other creditors, but they stuck with me, and now that things are going well again, they've honored both CLI requests I've made in the past year.

I've gotten neutral treatment from Amex; always very fair based on whatever my credit situation has been.

Citi doesn't seem to like me very much. They approved me for a $1,000 credit line in July, which was my lowest limit at the time. 6 months later, with a significantly stronger credit portfolio, they denied my CLI request even after 2 recons. Plus, this is on the Diamond Preferred card, which seems to have higher CLs than most. I don't know what they think is wrong with me.

I don't have enough info on BOA yet to make a determination. Yes, they approved me for $5000, but it took a recon, so I guess that gets a "neutral" for now.
Message 23 of 38
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

I wonder if the card companies scour myfico and (others) for opinon polls like this? Or perhaps create them for us to give them free press and feedback.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 24 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NJTurnpike wrote:

I wonder if the card companies scour myfico and (others) for opinon polls like this? Or perhaps create them for us to give them free press and feedback.

Probably. It's worth keeping in mind that credit card companies have a love-hate relationship with credit-savvy customers.

On the one hand, they're the customers that most frequently pay their bills on time and never default.

On the other hand, they also usually don't carry balances and consequently the credit card company often doesn't make any money on them.

Message 25 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LS2982 wrote:

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

Everyone has their own unique experiences with different creditors. In a previous thread, I recounted how lucky I've been with the big banks. On the other hand, I've been less lucky with certain creditors. So what about you? How would you rank the love of your creditors?

Let me start with myself:

The following creditors love me - meaning have showed me fantastic love:

Citi

Chase

Bank of America

GE Capital Retail Bank

The following creditors are wary of me - meaning have given me a foot in the door but not too eager to grow the relationship:

Amex

PenFed

Barclays

The following creditors are neutral towards me - meaning have showed me love but with some restraint:

Discover

First National Bank of Omaha

So how would you rate your creditors? Please share your experiences in comments.

GECRB

PSECU

Barclays

The following creditors are wary of me - meaning have given me a foot in the door but not too eager to grow the relationship:

Chase

AMEX (have Zync only, never get a preapproval)

The following creditors are neutral towards me - meaning have showed me love but with some restraint:

Capital One

The following creditors HATE me. They let me use their card only to laugh at my small toy limit and wait for me to call in and laugh at me some more about it:

Discover

Fantastic assessment

Message 26 of 38
cschick
Valued Member

Love:
Amex: gave me double the highest limit I had at the time and has continued to grow my limit.. mediocre apr but I pif..meh
Penfed: First instant approval & highest limit to date good apr Smiley Happy
Target: actually got a cli from them although honestly I could take or leave the card. Kind of a pain to keep up with the extra bill

Neutral:
Chase: mid range limit instant approval worst apr tier jury is still out since its a new card
Discover: gave me my first chance when no one else would as a 18 y/o college student, cli is slow and painful esp since I'm. Making 5x what I did I college... you'd think 5 years and counting of perfect payment history would get a girl some love
Revolver hate but mortgage love:
Local Credit Union: I've had a savings account here since I was 8, numerous cd's a money market and checking account followed as I grew up. I can't seem to get a card even secured from them to save my soul... but they wrote my mortgage at their best rate tier no pmi, 1.3k less closing costs and a whole apr percentage lower than the next best loan I could find.... they apparently like to see at least 7 years of ontime payment history to get a card thru them according to what customer service told me when I asked what gives?!?! Ill take the ,ortgage luv tho Smiley Happy
FICO: 782(Ex, AMEX 8/12), Mortgage Pull(3.0%, 5/1 ARM from Local CU 2/2013): 725(EX), 757(TU), 772(EQ); 775(EX, Amex 8/14)
Cards: Amex BCE(10300), Discover(7000), Target (1000), PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa (8500), Chase Freedom(5000), Barclay Arrival+ (10000), Amex HHonors Surpass(11,800)
App'd: Barclay & Hhonors Surpass Aug 2014, PenFed & Freedom Feb 2013, Amex & Target Jul 2012, Discover Feb 2008 Gardening til ???
Goals: TBD, possibly a mortgage refi to a fixed rate or better adjustable
Message 27 of 38
toppers555
Established Contributor

BOFA

GECRB

Capital One - pissed me off years ago by silently changing thier secure card conversion ability.  closed 5 cards with them  only 2 still open are HSBC.

US Bank

AMEX

The following creditors HATE me. They let me use their card only to laugh at my small toy limit and wait for me to call in and laugh at me some more about it:

Barclays - gave me a 500 instant cl refused to recon , and closed my account for inquires

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 28 of 38
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

Everyone has their own unique experiences with different creditors. In a previous thread, I recounted how lucky I've been with the big banks. On the other hand, I've been less lucky with certain creditors. So what about you? How would you rank the love of your creditors?

Let me start with myself:

Citi

Chase

Bank of America

GE Capital Retail Bank

Amex

PenFed

Barclays

Discover

First National Bank of Omaha

So how would you rate your creditors? Please share your experiences in comments.

Love:

GE/JCPenney - haven't been denied a CLI except if it was less than 4 months through the automated system.

Chase - with only have a $1500 Orchard, $1800 JCP, and a $400 Shell at the time, received a $7,000 Freedom, instant decision. also received Sapphire recently, took 5 days but eventually got $10,000 limit!

Orchard Bank/Capital One - unsecured my secured card! woohoo! we'll see how this relationship turns out Smiley Happy

Neutral:

TD Bank - approved me for $5,000, though a little disappointed that they didn't give me a signature, and furthermore no more bonus rewards after the 5x in 6 months

Citibank/Shell - approved me for a low $400 limit, doesn't give auto CLI to me, and i can't fully utilize the rewards program since i don't buy that much gas per month. can't blame them, though, they do what they want. eventually applied for a CLI after a year, went safe to go for $800, approved with hard pull.

Message 29 of 38
ItchyAppFingers
New Contributor

Amex
Discover
GECRB
DSNB (Macy's & Bloomingdales)

Crapital One
Bank of America

Chase

My Current Plastic: {Amazon Store Card} {Amazon Visa} {Amex Zync} {Amex Gold PRG} {Amex BCE} {Bloomingdales} {BOA 123 Cash Rewards} {Capital One Platinum Visa} {Chase Freedom Visa} {Discover IT} {Kohls} {Macy's} {Nordstrom} {SonyCard Visa} {Target RedCard}
Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.