cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Banks Love or Hate You? Share Your Experiences Here...

tag
Chrysostom
New Contributor

Re: Which Banks Love or Hate You? Share Your Experiences Here...

I like pretty much every bank except for Fifth Third (and Cap One). They have crappy credit cards, and truly terrible customer service. GE Capital Retail bank has poor-to-mediocre credit cards that are easy to get approved for and poor customer service. Capital One has one good credit card (Venture), a bunch of bad ones, and absolutely abysmal customer disservice.

Discover is the best, hands down, insofar as customer service, and is in second place for rewards. Amex is best for rewards and second-best for customer service. Contrary to popular experience, Amex gave me two revolvers in two days (one for $2k and one for $5.5k) without my ever having held an Amex charge card, and let me triple the CLI on the $5.5k one to $16.5k after 61 days. It took a lot of hassle and about six hours on the phone to get them to transfer $2k of the limit to the $2k card.

After that come Chase and Citi. So, Amex and Discover are the best, Chase and Citi are well above the cut. Citi ThankYou rewards suck, but you can get lots of them with something like the Forward card if you use it only for Amazon and restaurants and bars and redeem them only for high-denomination gift cards. (They want something like 90k points for a domestic coach flight! Christ almighty!)

Amex is where it's at for credit limits, with Citi a close second. Chase is easy to deal with to move credit limits around, other banks not so much (but the CSRs generally speak poor English, as do the supervisors: Citi supervisors are always in Maryland). Discover is really good with credit limits up to the around-$8-10k range, after which they start getting flaky.

That's good, too, because between Amex and Chase, 99% of the good credit cards in the world are taken.

Goal: 760 by End of Year
Current Score: 714 TU (2-3/12); 681 EQ (2-3/12); 714 EX (AmEx Pull: 2-7/12); 777 VantageScore (2-3/12)
AmEx BCE ($4k) - AmEx SPG ($7.5k) - Amex PRG (NPSL) - Citi Forward ($7.6k) - Discover IT ($3k) - BankAmericard Cash Rewards ($5k)
Chase Freedom ($1k) - Chase Amazon ($3k) - PayPal Extras ($6k) - Cap One Cash ($0.5k) - Amazon Store ($2.5k)

Application-Free Since the 14th of the Second May of 2012.
Message 31 of 38
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

Nfcu shows me lots of luv ;-) Merrick bank hates me. I have had there card for about 2 years and never received and cli. There customer service is so rude i don't even bother calling and there is no executive office contact info :-( They continue to be my lowest card.

Second bank that hates me is (hope I'm typing it correctly) GECRB (walmart). I have seen posts where people were approved for the Walmart card shortly after bankruptcy. My scores (as of 15 mins ago) all hover around 680. No go, was told by the rep that it is because they require 2 yrs min. past bankruptcy. Others have had better luck. And they were not iib. I have never burned them and never had any of there products. Weird..what's up wit u GECRB??? LOL

Starting Score: 530
3-2013Score: TU 680 EQ 683 EXP 679 FAKO
Current Score (lender pull): TU 693 EQ 649 EXP 699 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 32 of 38
Cory
Established Contributor

The following creditors love me - meaning have showed me fantastic love:

Bank of America

Discover

Citi

The following creditors are neutral towards me - meaning have showed me love but with some restraint:

American Express-And now the feeling is mutual.

Message 33 of 38
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Awesome post!!

Love me (meaning hassle free clis and instant approval/easy recon):
GECRB
Barclay's
Amex (surprising, I know-but Ive never experienced any hassle with them after approval)
Discover

Hate me: (meaning lackluster limits, hard recons, and hard to get clis)
Chase (cli stingy!)
Citi( can't even count denials/recons)
Capital One (this is actually more of a love/hate atm)
HSBC (lowest limit at $1700 after 7 years)

With most of these creditors, you just gotta speak w the right folks to turn that hate relationship into a love one lol!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 34 of 38
randeman
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the info, LS...I will keep that in mind!

@LS2982 wrote:
@randeman Barclays will do account reviews every 6 months for possible CLIs as long as your report is good and your history with the card is good.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 35 of 38
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

Everyone has their own unique experiences with different creditors. In a previous thread, I recounted how lucky I've been with the big banks. On the other hand, I've been less lucky with certain creditors. So what about you? How would you rank the love of your creditors?

Let me start with myself:

The following creditors love me - meaning have showed me fantastic love:

Citi

Chase

Bank of America

GE Capital Retail Bank

The following creditors are wary of me - meaning have given me a foot in the door but not too eager to grow the relationship:

Amex

PenFed

Barclays

The following creditors are neutral towards me - meaning have showed me love but with some restraint:

Discover

First National Bank of Omaha

So how would you rate your creditors? Please share your experiences in comments.

The following creditors love me.........

FNBO - originally gave me my highest cl and today gave me a pretty nice cli with no hp

GE Sams Discover - Gave me a nice original cl and no problem getting an increase

Amex - Approved me for two cards in the same months with pretty decent limits....will see how the 3x cli goes next month Cat Tongue

GE Amazon, GE Walmart - These two have showed me love

The following creditors are wary of me - meaning have given me a foot in the door but not too eager to grow the relationship:

Chase - I put them here because they gave me small limits on my bp gas card and my freedom card. Plus I had to beg and plead for both those cards but I do have mad love for them.....hopefully they will return that love in the near future  Heart

Citi - I had to beg for a shell gas card and they finally came through but no increases as of yet.

VS (commenity) - They gave me a shopping cart trick approval which was nice and I use them quite a bit at vs and bath and body works but no love yet....they say 9 months....we'll see

Discover - They approved me for a nice limit in the beginning but I have not had any love since. I hope they will come around because I like them.

Not sure yet

GE Old Navy - They gave me a tiny starting limit of 250, then a cli to 600 and now they won't do anything. It confuses me because the other accounts I have with them love me. Oh well, we will see.

BOA - They took a chance on me before anyone else. They sent me the 99/500 card last August. I just requested that they add rewards to the card and they did so that was nice. I think they will love me when this card graduates later this year. I hope they do because since this one is connected to my checking accounts, I really use it as a debit card and pay it weekly.

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 36 of 38
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

Chase hates me!

My history with Chase: WAMU card @ 9.9 (fixed) that Chase closed when they took over WAMU. BP card that I closed as I moved and there aren't BP stations that are convenient. In both cases, there was no balance on the cards. I tried to PC the BP card but it was no-go. LOL! The CSR was very nice, though. That was about 4 years ago.

Last September, I applied for a card with Chase. I don't even remember which one it was. I was denied. The letter said: You currently have this card. I knew that was not true, and immediately wondered if someone had opened a card in my name. Pulled my reports and all was well. No Chase cards. I called to ask for a recon (denied again). They said I had an outstanding balance that was unpaid. I told the CSR that was impossible and I had my report in hand. There was nothing derogatory for Chase or anyone else for that matter. This rep was very abrupt and refused to give me any info. Got denial letter stating the new reason of delinquencies. Called again. This time, I no longer wanted the card but I wanted to clear the record. That time, they said I had too many inquiries. I later found that 2 of those inquiries were from Chase, so I don't know how they got such false information initially. Amusingly, since my denials, I've been getting emails from them addressing me as a cardmember. This was not the same email address I'd used for WAMU & BP. They got it from the recent application.

So yes, I believe Chase hates me. The feeling is mutual, though.

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 37 of 38
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

Love me

Chase - 5 cards with them - nice limits

Wells Fargo - 1 card but with a great limit.  Don't use it much now but keep it for the AAOA and utilization help.

Like me a lot

Amex - 4 cards with them - one NPSL, 3 revolvers that started at 2000.00 - one is now 6000.00

Like me

Discover - had 1700 limit since 2011.  Got it raised to 4000 with a SP this month - they'd asked me what they could do to win back my business.  Wish I'd asked for more just for the heck of it.

Don't like me

Citi - applied for three cards from them last May and June.  No love - zip, zero, nada.  Wrote to the president's office and they said they'd have to do another hard pull, so I thought, no thanks.  I might try for their Hilton Reserve card at some point, but not for quite a while.  I have the Amex Surpass now.

Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.