Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which CC company is more "usage sensitive" towards CLI

tag
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

Which CC company is more "usage sensitive" towards CLI

So among these card issuers, which one tend to give you a higher CLI  when you use the cards more heavily?   How about Capital One? What I noticed is that they seem to care more about the age of your account that your usage. GE cards and FIA cards are more sensitive to your usage.

I ask this because I don't know whether put some charge on my Capital One cards will help me about CLI or not.

Thank you.

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Which CC company is more "usage sensitive" towards CLI

@w20031424 wrote:

So among these card issuers, which one tend to give you a higher CLI  when you use the cards more heavily?   How about Capital One? What I noticed is that they seem to care more about the age of your account that your usage. GE cards and FIA cards are more sensitive to your usage.

I ask this because I don't know whether put some charge on my Capital One cards will help me about CLI or not.

Thank you.

I think its a YMMV. I have received CLI's from Discover and GE with little to no usage. I don't have a Cap 1 cc so I can't offer advice with their usage vs CL 

Message 2 of 14
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

i think cap one likes to see usage and good payment history (ie, paying in full)...but like lexie said, it's YMMV

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 3 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@djc1puno wrote:

i think cap one likes to see usage and good payment history (ie, paying in full)...but like lexie said, it's YMMV

+1

Capital One would definitely need some moderate usage if you expect an auto-CLI (at some point) or if you decide to use their online CLI request.  More often than not, and from what others have posted, if the account is not used regularly the CLI can be declined for one of those reasons (i.e. Recent use of this account's existing credit line has been too low).

Message 4 of 14
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I think it is really a YMMV thing.. all I know is heavy usage on Discover for a year will not get you anywhere. Util was 60-70% reporting and run through the card more than CL for 12 months and not even a small increase with HP....so I will SD and see if that will give me better results. Cap1 likes to see good usage and BofA gave me auto CLIs with hardly any use. I will now give them some business back as it is sooooo hopeless with Discover. Hope Discover will at least notice the loss of my business..LOL

Message 5 of 14
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

EO has expressedly stated to me that the best they could do on a CLI was a certain amount just to the fact that I had low usage on the card on my Capital One.

Message 6 of 14
bigbang91
Established Contributor

BOA like to see heavy usage as well. I got 3x CLI after 2 statements with a HP,and the reps approved me due to high usage

Message 7 of 14
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

@bigbang91 wrote:

BOA like to see heavy usage as well. I got 3x CLI after 2 statements with a HP,and the reps approved me due to high usage

That's what happened to my Fidelity Amex card. $2000 to $15000 in seven months.

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 8 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@KennyS2006 wrote:

EO has expressedly stated to me that the best they could do on a CLI was a certain amount just to the fact that I had low usage on the card on my Capital One.

But even EO is YMMV.  They gave me a 5K CLI on a card I had put maybe $50 in two years (and I even said I didn't need a CLI on that card..)

Message 9 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@KennyS2006 wrote:

But even EO is YMMV.  They gave me a 5K CLI on a card I had put maybe $50 in two years (and I even said I didn't need a CLI on that card..)

+1

Exactly.  Or, for other folks, it still will not get the desired CLI outcome.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.