cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which CC let you use bill pay to pay other creditors?

tag
hizzaah
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which CC let you use bill pay to pay other creditors?

Did my post get deleted? That's weird, I didn't think it said anything goes out of line with what has already been mentioned.. Good luck I guess Smiley Frustrated

Nope, it was caught in our Spam Folder ~Lexie

QuickSilver - $20,000 | Amex ED $12,000 | Commence $5,000 | IT $2,200 | Freedom $2,000
Message 21 of 43
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

Amex Serve prepaid card allows you to do what your trying to do. Capital one,barclaycard,citi,chase,and FIA will treat the upload to the serve prepaid card as a purchase and you can use the Serve prepaid card's bill pay feature to pay your mortgage and other bills. If for some reason it comes up as a cash advance , just use the serve card to pay your credit card right back. 

Message 22 of 43
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

I wasn't looking to dance along the ethical borderline or anything.  I was just wondering.  A quick google fu makes it seem as though paying a mortgage via a CC is indeed unethical so I'm not going to pursue the activity. 

I would just like to run every bit of spending possible through my cards is all.  I don't want to rock any boats or do anything that is in any way sketchy.

Well, I agree that it makes sense to pay as many bills as you can with a rewards card.  Your intention is not a problem.  It is just that, because many mortgages make it hard to do this, most often the solution is to purchase a large amount of cash with a rewards card.  And then this thread evolves into a MS discussion.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 23 of 43
sexy_kitten7
Regular Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

@Membersince2013 wrote:

@ezdoesit wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

Is there a way to run your mortgage payment through a CC?  Would that be considered MS?

I wouldn't considered MS because those are bills that you have to pay anyway and you would be trying to get rewards while doing so.  There is a way but in my opinion it involves more work that I am willing to put in with not enough of a reward in the end.

My point exactly. I want to get rewards for paying all my bills, not just some. I was hoping to find a way, but unfortunately, there isn't. I've called almost every CC company i have an account with.

If it was possible to earn rewards on rewards cards by transfering the balances from other rewards cards, the concept would be the same as manufactured spending. You aren't actually paying for anything. You are just moving credit around in a way that quickly accumulates rewards. It is not using the cards as intended and goes against any cardholder agreements.

This is completely false. A true balance transfer incurs a fee of ~3% and typically earns rewards. Just look at the Barclays US Air offer!

CCC encourage BT precisely because they are a bad deal for consumers.

Quicksilver MC / Amazon.com / Better Balance Rewards Visa / Freedom / Dividend / Quicksilver Visa / Cash+ / Thank You Preferred / Blue Cash Everyday / Better Balance Rewards MC / BankAmericard HRC Cash Rewards / It / Arrival / FlexPerks / Platinum AAdvantage / MileagePlus Explorer / LifeMiles
Message 24 of 43
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@sexy_kitten7 wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

@Membersince2013 wrote:

@ezdoesit wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

Is there a way to run your mortgage payment through a CC?  Would that be considered MS?

I wouldn't considered MS because those are bills that you have to pay anyway and you would be trying to get rewards while doing so.  There is a way but in my opinion it involves more work that I am willing to put in with not enough of a reward in the end.

My point exactly. I want to get rewards for paying all my bills, not just some. I was hoping to find a way, but unfortunately, there isn't. I've called almost every CC company i have an account with.

If it was possible to earn rewards on rewards cards by transfering the balances from other rewards cards, the concept would be the same as manufactured spending. You aren't actually paying for anything. You are just moving credit around in a way that quickly accumulates rewards. It is not using the cards as intended and goes against any cardholder agreements.

This is completely false. A true balance transfer incurs a fee of ~3% and typically earns rewards. Just look at the Barclays US Air offer!

Creditors do not allow you to pay your charge/credit cards with other credit cards unless you are doing a BT. OP wanted to know which creditors allow it so that he may collect rewards and it is not allowed. Just like you cannot use a BT to pay off the same lender ie Chase Freedom to Chase Slate. 
Dave is correct, you cannot collect rewards in when doing BTs
edit: clarification/typo 
Message 25 of 43
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@sexy_kitten7 wrote:

Many balance transfers have no fees at all.  Off the top of my head SDFCU and NFCU do not incur any fee.  So that part is not true for all cards. Different cards have varying fees, but none will earn rewards points on a BT.  I did look at the Barclays US Airways card and that card does charge a 3% fee.  It also does not earn rewards (like all other balance transfers).  So, that part of your statemnent is also wrong.  This is from the Barclays US Airways Terms and Conditions:

The following transactions are not considered Net Purchases and do not accrue Dividend Miles: Account fees, interest, convenience checks, balance transfers, cash advances, cash equivalents as defined in your Cardmember Agreement, and credit insurance premiums.

CCC don't encourage BT because it is a bad deal.  Some of them are great deals, such as NFCU 0% with no fees (they offer this every year).  But if credit cards offered rewards points for these types of transfers, people would be able to start accumulating infinite rewards points without actually purchasing anything.  It isn't allowed because creditors don't intend for their cards to be used this way.  If there was a way to circumvent this intention, it would not be a good idea to abuse and will eventually cause AA.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 26 of 43
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Basically, we have to let the moderators here determine what is abuse for the purposes of MyFico,    As others point out, "not what the CCC intends" is neither clear or knowable.   Getting a bonus and closing before AF is due almost certainly counts but is discussed here.  Another example, and I seem to be the only one who thinks this, is reconning.   The CCC made its decision, calling backdoor numbers raises costs of doing business (these people weren't hired to take calls arguing about declines) and especially the "try try again" approach preached here.  Which is basically harrassment if we adopt "Corporations are people" view of recent Supreme Court decisions!

So it is somewhat arbitrary, but I will presume that the mods get some feedback from the sponsers as to what they really don't like, which appears to include MS and strategic freezing of credit reports.

Message 27 of 43
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Basically, we have to let the moderators here determine what is abuse for the purposes of MyFico,    As others point out, "not what the CCC intends" is neither clear or knowable.   Getting a bonus and closing before AF is due almost certainly counts but is discussed here.  Another example, and I seem to be the only one who thinks this, is reconning.   The CCC made its decision, calling backdoor numbers raises costs of doing business (these people weren't hired to take calls arguing about declines) and especially the "try try again" approach preached here.  Which is basically harrassment if we adopt "Corporations are people" view of recent Supreme Court decisions!

So it is somewhat arbitrary, but I will presume that the mods get some feedback from the sponsers as to what they really don't like, which appears to include MS and strategic freezing of credit reports.

I just feel some of this is up to interpretation.  If the OP got a CC that allow him to do so why would be unethical unless the CC agreement the stated so. 

I think PFD is not right either because your basically telling a CCC that I will pay you if you removed the legal info off my file to me it is a form of extortion.  Whereas a GW is a little different because you already paid the CCC.

Again just my interpretation.  Others may agree or disagree but I thought that was the point of this forum to discuss this type of things.

Message 28 of 43
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ezdoesit wrote:

I just feel some of this is up to interpretation.  If the OP got a CC that allow him to do so why would be unethical unless the CC agreement the stated so. 

I think PFD is not right either because your basically telling a CCC that I will pay you if you removed the legal info off my file to me it is a form of extortion.  Whereas a GW is a little different because you already paid the CCC.

Again just my interpretation.  Others may agree or disagree but I thought that was the point of this forum to discuss this type of things.

Just in case I wasnt clear, I agree, it's all interpretation.  People are claiming various things are ethical violations, and that obviously is a matter of individual judgement.  I meant more that in the end the moderators will decide what to allow or not.   I accept this because a) I don't have choice! and b) they have to reflect the wishes of the sponsors, and I hope/assume that this guides the decisions rather than fuzzy notions of ethics.

My borderline is more "if it is allowed [in the sense that it is not blocked], it's OK" but I don't claim that is a great ethical stand!

Message 29 of 43
avggoal700
Frequent Contributor

I'm confused, are some saying its unethical to pay bills with a cc to get reward points?

EX 706. TU 705 EQ 682. Avg 698
Message 30 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.