cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which CC let you use bill pay to pay other creditors?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Which CC let you use bill pay to pay other creditors?

@avggoal700 wrote:

I'm confused, are some saying its unethical to pay bills with a cc to get reward points?

Don't think people have said that yet.   (But for those with high ethics, yes, because use of reward cards overall drives costs up, and hurts those most in need, those who have to pay cash or use debit/non-reward cards.)  But most of the comment was about getting rewards for balance transfers, where you could keep moving a balance from card to card (hopefully with a BT fee) and gain rewards.  Apart from the fact that this doesn't work, it would be a too complex and limited form of MS.

Message 31 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Amex Serve to load money with a CC and then pay your landlord / mortgage lender seems to me to be the most vanilla use of a credit card possible, up there with buying milk and eggs at cvs. 

Message 32 of 43
carlosjgg
Contributor

bank will do anything to take peoples money including unethical and sometimes illegal practices, and not to mention fico scores, fico score is design by lenders to take advantage middle class people and under that is unethical. if a ccc let you do something is because they are ok with it what is unethical about it. i wont recommend paying credit with credit because is formula for financial disaster

Chase sp 5k c---------------------------Care credit 4500 cl
Chase mileageplus explorer 5k ---Citi diamond p 2k
Chase mileageplus club 15k ------ Discover it 1.5k
Amex ed 5k -----------------------------Lowe's 10k-----Dinersclub mc 5k
Amex gold npsl plus a 35k cl--------BestBuy 2.1k--Kay's 5k
Sam's mc 4.5k --------------------------Jared 6k
Message 33 of 43
Florida1990
Frequent Contributor

Capital one has zero balance transfer fees.

Pre-CH7 Scores- TU 584 EX 540 EQ 581
Post-CH7 Scores- TU 656 EX 630 EQ 670

Navy Fed Cash Rewards-$4,500, Credit One MC $500, Credit One VS $700 Ollo Platinum MC $900, Avant MC $1,000 Primor Secured Vs. $200, Wayfair $750, Eddie, Jcrew, Boscov $250-$300.
Message 34 of 43
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

Lol @ this thread.  To answer the OP's question, no CC does that.

Message 35 of 43
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

@Florida1990 wrote:

Capital one has zero balance transfer fees.

On what planet?

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 36 of 43
Suddenlyy
New Contributor

if i could pay my credit card bills with a different credit card (without balance transfer or cash advance), then i wouldnt have to be employed. Just have 2 credit cards, and use them to pay each other each month. Where can I sign up for this?

Message 37 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Suddenlyy wrote:

if i could pay my credit card bills with a different credit card (without balance transfer or cash advance), then i wouldnt have to be employed. Just have 2 credit cards, and use them to pay each other each month. Where can I sign up for this?

Although it sounds unbelievable, there were cards that let you do that before the financial crisis. Nowadays long gone

Message 38 of 43
sexy_kitten7
Regular Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

@sexy_kitten7 wrote:

This is completely false. A true balance transfer incurs a fee of ~3% and typically earns rewards. Just look at the Barclays US Air offer!

CCC encourage BT precisely because they are a bad deal for consumers.

Many balance transfers have no fees at all.  Off the top of my head SDFCU and NFCU do not incur any fee.  So that part is not true for all cards. Different cards have varying fees, but none will earn rewards points on a BT.  I did look at the Barclays US Airways card and that card does charge a 3% fee.  It also does not earn rewards (like all other balance transfers).  So, that part of your statemnent is also wrong.  This is from the Barclays US Airways Terms and Conditions:

The following transactions are not considered Net Purchases and do not accrue Dividend Miles: Account fees, interest, convenience checks, balance transfers, cash advances, cash equivalents as defined in your Cardmember Agreement, and credit insurance premiums.

CCC don't encourage BT because it is a bad deal.  Some of them are great deals, such as NFCU 0% with no fees (they offer this every year).  But if credit cards offered rewards points for these types of transfers, people would be able to start accumulating infinite rewards points without actually purchasing anything.  It isn't allowed because creditors don't intend for their cards to be used this way.  If there was a way to circumvent this intention, it would not be a good idea to abuse and will eventually cause AA.

You're right that BT usually don't earn rewards. Thanks for pointing that out.

US Air: "Earn up to 10,000 Bonus Miles when you transfer a balance within 90 days of account opening"

Of the 8 or so national banks I follow (Chase, Citi, US Bank, CapOne, Discover, BoA, etc.), there is only one credit card with fee-free BT (Slate). That's a pretty slim percentage. I agree that 0% APR offers are great. But only if they come with 0% fees!

Quicksilver MC / Amazon.com / Better Balance Rewards Visa / Freedom / Dividend / Quicksilver Visa / Cash+ / Thank You Preferred / Blue Cash Everyday / Better Balance Rewards MC / BankAmericard HRC Cash Rewards / It / Arrival / FlexPerks / Platinum AAdvantage / MileagePlus Explorer / LifeMiles
Message 39 of 43
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:

I want to know which CCs will let you use your credit line to pay other creditors without a fee and without considering the transaction as a balance transfer. I was just thinking about it after reading another post. If i can pay all my credit card bill with one specific credit card, i can maximize my rewards even further! Anyone have a clue? I already tried BOA and Amex, BOA considers it as a balance transfer and Amex just said that it's not possible.

Paying credit card B with credit card A and credit card C with D is not a good practice.

Banks don't like that kind of flip flop. Even if it was possible I would not recomend paying one credit card with another.

I know people that used to do that and became bankrupt at the END.

too much......

Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.