Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which CC's for me?

tag
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

Re: Which CC's for me?

@jenn_bar wrote:

You've been given great information, and I am quite a newbie to this experience, but I thought I would share my side.

You mentioned wanting to get into Chase and Amex. At 22, I applied for the Freedom with no credit history, albeit with a checking account from Chase. Do you happen to need a checking account or would you transfer? Chase offers great benefits and they have a truly great rewards program. Once you get going you can slowly add a Chase Sapphire Preferred (after you are approved for a Freedom) and you will have a great revoling/transferring rewards account.

I applied for my Amex with eight months of credit history and $30k income, while in law school. Got auto approved for the Blue Cash Preferred for $2k and will hopefully get the 3x CLI in 30 days.

I say this all because you seem to have many stats like I do, and I think you're pretty safe to apply, as long as your utilization is low and inquiries are at a minimum.

I don't know much about Citi, but I just wanted to put my $.02 in because I think you're in a great place to start forming relationships!

I do have a checking account with Chase, but I never use it. I only have it because I have a safety deposit box with them. My main bank is BoA. I would like the Chase Freedom and then eventually the CSP but I'm just worried I won't get accepted. I definately want to get in with Amex but the charge cards wouldn't really do much for me.

I currently have 3 inquiries and my utilization is low so by what you're saying I might have a chance. Your income is higher than mine though. I guess it just depends if I want to take a chance or not lol.

I'm a little worried about Citi because I've been reading about it online and it seems they are changing the rewards program for their regular card but keeping their student card the same.

Thanks for your opinion, I will definitely keep it in consideration!

BoA 123 $2.5k (11/12) // Discover It $3.9k (7/13) // Citi Forward Student $3.8k (7/13) // Chase Freedom 5k (12/13) // Amex Blue Cash 6k (1/15)

Starting Score: No Credit History (11/12)
Current Score: MyFico 761
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 31 of 39
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

To be honest, I would really like to have the Amex BCE, Discover It (student), Chase Freedom, CSP, and CLI to my current BoA card. Pretty sure I'm in dream land though with my lack of credit history lol...

BoA 123 $2.5k (11/12) // Discover It $3.9k (7/13) // Citi Forward Student $3.8k (7/13) // Chase Freedom 5k (12/13) // Amex Blue Cash 6k (1/15)

Message 32 of 39
enharu
Super Contributor

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

To be honest, I would really like to have the Amex BCE, Discover It (student), Chase Freedom, CSP, and CLI to my current BoA card. Pretty sure I'm in dream land though with my lack of credit history lol...

ask for the CLI now. It's just a HP on TU.

Get the Discover and Citi card first. You wanted those 2 right?

Then wait till end of the year or sometime early next year, apply for Freedom and possibly BCE.

Give it till end of next year / early 2015, and apply for the CSP. The CSP isn't going to help you now anyways with your level of spending.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 33 of 39
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

ask for the CLI now. It's just a HP on TU.

Get the Discover and Citi card first. You wanted those 2 right?

Then wait till end of the year or sometime early next year, apply for Freedom and possibly BCE.

Give it till end of next year / early 2015, and apply for the CSP. The CSP isn't going to help you now anyways with your level of spending.

Yes I wanted the Discover and Citi, although after reading some info about them possibly discontinuing the card, I became a little apprehensive to apply. Sounds like a great plan to me though!

Message 34 of 39
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

I want to check my scores before I apply, what site do you guys use? Or which site has the most accurate score/best monthly price?

Message 35 of 39
sergi0wned
Contributor

I'm a student who was in a similar situation to yours earlier this month. I pulled the trigger on the Discover IT and the Citi Forward and got instantly approved for both with $1,500 limits.

I had a Credit Karma of 667 and a Credit Sesame of 700 when I applied. I had 3 hard pulls as well, and an income of about $15,00.

I think you'd get approved for both without problem, and you could make a very solid case with recon if you needed to. I'd say to go for it!

20 years old | 4 Cards in my wallet | TU (3/28/14) 743
January 2013 - 1st Financial Bank USA Platinum VISA ($500 --> $1,500)
June 2013- Discover IT Student ($1,500 --> $1,800 --> $2,100), Citi Forward Student ($1,500 --> $2,900)
December 2013 - Macy's American Express ($1,000 --> $3,000)
February 2014 - American Express Blue Cash Everyday ($3,000), Chase Freedom ($2,000)
April 2014 - Sallie Mae MasterCard ($3,800)
Message 36 of 39
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

@sergi0wned wrote:

I'm a student who was in a similar situation to yours earlier this month. I pulled the trigger on the Discover IT and the Citi Forward and got instantly approved for both with $1,500 limits.

I had a Credit Karma of 667 and a Credit Sesame of 700 when I applied. I had 3 hard pulls as well, and an income of about $15,00.

I think you'd get approved for both without problem, and you could make a very solid case with recon if you needed to. I'd say to go for it!

Yeah I read the thread you made and we have very similiar situations lol. I think I'm definitely going to go for it, thanks!

Message 37 of 39
sergi0wned
Contributor

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@sergi0wned wrote:

Yeah I read the thread you made and we have very similiar situations lol. I think I'm definitely going to go for it, thanks!

I'm glad they were helpful! I sent you a PM that you may want to read before applying Smiley Wink

My fingers are crossed for you! Let us know how it goes Smiley Happy

20 years old | 4 Cards in my wallet | TU (3/28/14) 743
January 2013 - 1st Financial Bank USA Platinum VISA ($500 --> $1,500)
June 2013- Discover IT Student ($1,500 --> $1,800 --> $2,100), Citi Forward Student ($1,500 --> $2,900)
December 2013 - Macy's American Express ($1,000 --> $3,000)
February 2014 - American Express Blue Cash Everyday ($3,000), Chase Freedom ($2,000)
April 2014 - Sallie Mae MasterCard ($3,800)
Message 38 of 39
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

For sure, thank you my friend!

Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.