cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which CCs to start with when rebuilding credit?

tag
RaeC
Established Member

Which CCs to start with when rebuilding credit?

My Fico is 522, while my other scores range from 560-580. I know starting with a secured CC is the best way to go, but I have a few questions. First off, my debt is not at all related to credit cards, as I have NONE and I know that hurts me! The majority is medical related, a charge-off, and a paid. How quickly (on average) can a secured card raise my points? I know I deposit a certain amount, and that is my credit line, but does this automatically renew once that limit is paid off or am I forced to deposit another amount again? 

Are there any suggestions for retail cards for poor credit that can potentially help me rebuild for future reference? Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
scorpiostinger07
Regular Contributor

Re: Which CCs to start with when rebuilding credit?

I would say Capital One Secured is a great option.  You may want to check and see if you are able to join a Credit Union.

Starting Score: 433
Current Score: 700
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
HiLine
Blogger

I would go with a secured card that your bank/credit union offers to maximize your chance of getting approved. If this is not an option, try Bank of America's product. Their secured card graduates in one year, so you'll at least have one regular credit card by then. Robot Very Happy

Message 3 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

@RaeC wrote:

My Fico is 522, while my other scores range from 560-580. I know starting with a secured CC is the best way to go, but I have a few questions. First off, my debt is not at all related to credit cards, as I have NONE and I know that hurts me! The majority is medical related, a charge-off, and a paid.

How quickly (on average) can a secured card raise my points? No way of telling how quick your scores will respond but generally speaking you should see improvement start 3-4 months after cards start reporting I know I deposit a certain amount, and that is my credit line, but does this automatically renew once that limit is paid off  Yes 

or am I forced to deposit another amount again? 

Are there any suggestions for retail cards for poor credit that can potentially help me rebuild for future reference? Thanks in advance! Try the shopping cart trick for cards from stores you may shop at and anything you get will be SP's.

BofA secured card graduates after about a year of good history. Cap1 does not graduate but may also be an option for you!

Cap1 will also pull all 3 CR so use your judgement.

Last but not least build up your deposit amount before you apply for unsecured cards because some lenders report secured cards as credit cards and other may want to match what appears to be your credit limit down the road....... Good luck on your journey

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 7
Henchman21
Frequent Contributor

Not sure if BoA secured will approve with unpaid derogs. Maybe someone will chime in on that.

Cap One Secured is good.

2/16/13 Scores EX: 594, TU:513, EQ:563 -- Cap One Secured: $200, Kay's: $400

GOAL #1: 625 -- CHECK!

3/31/15 Scores TU: 621 -- Cap One Secured: $750, Kay's: $900, CareCredit: $1000, Aerie $350, Fingerhut $1350

Goal #2: A travel card. REC ME!
Message 5 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Henchman21 wrote:

Not sure if BoA secured will approve with unpaid derogs. Maybe someone will chime in on that.

Cap One Secured is good.

yes YMMV tho

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 7
HiLine
Blogger

@Henchman21 wrote:

Cap One Secured is good.

Having a sizable banking account with BofA may help in that case.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.