cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which CRA's do CHASE and AMEX use when applying for a credit card???

tag
rtw
Established Contributor

Re: Which CRA's do CHASE and AMEX use when applying for a credit card???

I agree with JonStur. I applied for the Amex BCP earlier this month and was denied. I only did it because I am already a card memeber and new it would be a soft pull. My EX Fico was 674 based on their letter and my utilization was about 35% at the time. Remember that their revolvers are harder to get than the charge cards.

Starting Score: EX: 575 (PSECU 5/2/12) TU: 582 (3/6/12) EQ: 664 (4/27/12)
Current Score: EX: 699 (PSECU 06/04/14) 702 (my FICO 08/05/14) TU: 699 (08/01/14) EQ: 675 (07/08/14)
Goal Score: 720
20K PSECU 7/12 | 12K USAA 9/12 | 11K BOA 1-2-3 9/12 | 9K Citi HHonors 9/12 | 8.5K Citi AAdvantage 5/08 | 5K Chase Sapphire Pref. 9/12 | 3.8K Barclays USAir 7/12 | 6K Walmart Dis. 11/12 | 1K Amex SPG 11/12 | 2K Amex BCP 1/13
Message 11 of 22
Jake0215
Frequent Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Chase is random, known to pull all 3 equally.

AMEX pulls EX first, and if your EX CR is borderline then HP EQ and TU in addition.

this is an interesting conversation. Amex most defn usually pulls ex. However, the reports that chase is random or pulls equally I think is a bit of a mistake. Chase most defn pulls all three, depending on your home address. Since the 3 bureas tend to be region specific, where some smaller banks and such only report to certain CRAs, chase wants the most accurate picture from your region. For me, transunion is the dominate CRA, therefore chase has pulled them exclusively. And rightly so, I have 3 car loans from a small bank in my area that only reported to TU. 

Starting Score: 617 EQ 10-17-11
Current Score: EQ 767 TU 769 EX 749 (all FICO but who really knows?)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 22
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Chase has pulled EQ and TU for me before. In California.

Message 13 of 22

@jake0215 (interesting comment).........

I'm originally from PA.  TransUnion is PA based.  I have some older loans on my report ONLY on TU.  And, my recent car loan through USAA (in Texas) didn't report to Transunion.  I had to SPECIFICALLY request them to report to TU.  And, I now live in Florida.  WOuld explain why they pulled Equifax (GA based).

Why does AMEX exclusively pull Experian?  Anyone here know?  I will say that now monitoring my reports for a good year I notice Experian is usually updated on time regularly.  TransUnion is the worse and Equifax in the middle.

And, just generally speaking, which FICO algorithm is the most stringent?  I heard Equifax's is the hardest algorithm (generally) to increase?  Any truth to that?

Message 14 of 22
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: @jake0215 (interesting comment).........

@I_SUFFER_FROM_FICO_ENVY wrote:

I'm originally from PA.  TransUnion is PA based.  I have some older loans on my report ONLY on TU.  And, my recent car loan through USAA (in Texas) didn't report to Transunion.  I had to SPECIFICALLY request them to report to TU.  And, I now live in Florida.  WOuld explain why they pulled Equifax (GA based).

Why does AMEX exclusively pull Experian?  Anyone here know?  I will say that now monitoring my reports for a good year I notice Experian is usually updated on time regularly.  TransUnion is the worse and Equifax in the middle.

And, just generally speaking, which FICO algorithm is the most stringent?  I heard Equifax's is the hardest algorithm (generally) to increase?  Any truth to that?

AMEX uses their in-house credit score, even though they give FICO score out.

Chase sometime use FICO, sometime use VantageScore.

Message 15 of 22
Quips
Regular Contributor

@I_SUFFER_FROM_FICO_ENVY wrote:

Earlier this year, I needed a car loan through USAA and their HARD PULL was from Equifax (only). So, I am going to be taking the BIG SPLASH this September and apply for two credit cards - upgrades from my Capital One's.

After doing my homework (thanks guys for the help, btw), I am going to apply for: 1) a CHASE (at minimum, CHASE FREEDOM card; at maximum, CHASE SAPHIRE PREFERRED); 2) and, an AMEX (at minimum, TRUE EARNINGS CARD FROM COSTCO and AMEX; at maximum, BLUE CASH PREFERRED from AMEX).

I will be getting one of those two CHASE cards and one of those two AMEX.

1) Which CRA does CHASE do their HARD PULL from? Only one or all three?

2) Which CRA does AMEX do their HARD PULL from? Only one or all three?

I ask, b/c EQUIFAX has the most HARD PULLS on my report (5); and TRANSUNION is my lowest FICO (684) at a 42% UTI. All three FICO's will be higher next month (Septmeber) when I apply as I lower my UTI to 7%.

Thanks in advance, as always.

AMex pulled EX for both my BCP and TE applications. Chase pulled EQ for my Mileage Plus Explorer.

FICO: EQ 769, TU 762 , EX ???

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex pulled EX for all 3 of my Amex cards. Chase pulled EX then EQ (in that order).  

Message 17 of 22
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Chase pulled EQ for both my CSP and United cards. They haven't pulled anything else as of yet.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 18 of 22
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

AMEX pulled EX for me. Chase pulled TU for Freedom and CSP (1 pull for 2 cards, apps were 8 days apart). Just lucky To get 2 cards with one pull. I am in MI.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 19 of 22
stevenngu92
Contributor

Amex and Chase both pulled EQ for me Smiley Sad

Amazon Store Card ($6000) Amex BCE ($10000) Amex PRG (NPSL) BofA Better Balance Rewards ($3000) Best Buy Store Card ($5000) Chase Freedom ($2500) Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7900) Citi Prestige ($5000) Discover It ($10500) Walmart Discover ($6000) Wells Fargo CB ($4700)
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.