Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which CU can I qualify for?

tag
Drefrombk
New Contributor

Which CU can I qualify for?

I want to join a major CU but my job does not offer any and I don't have any military ties. Can anyone suggest one with an easy criteria. My scores are in the 640 range.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which CU can I qualify for?

Alliant CU  (join the national PTA to qualify - www.pta.org)

PenFed CU  (join NMFA on their site to qualify)

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Drefrombk!

I'm not sure how specific anyone can get with a recommendation-- we don't know where you live, or your other non work related affiliations. BUT, there are plenty of credit unions that have many 'ports of entry', so-to-speak. Often, your proximity to the credit union, your membership in organizaitions, etc... are enough to qualify you. Look locally, in your neighborhood/city/county etc... and then research the membership criteria.

Alliant Credit Union has recent been a big hit 'round these parts because of their great rates. I got on the bandwagon and joined. I picked one of the organizations that they're affiliated with & joined that. A lot of people here picked the PTA.

But, shop around. See what works for you. Some people wouldn't be comfortable with online banking only (I'm fine with it) when there's no branch for them to access. Check out Alliant, but check out what's local to you as well. You might find a great CU with great offerings right in your own backyard. And if you do... don't forget to tell us about it! Smiley Wink

@Drefrombk wrote:
I want to join a major CU but my job does not offer any and I don't have any military ties. Can anyone suggest one with an easy criteria. My scores are in the 640 range.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

When the branch is not local, though, the CU's often have local ATM and services through association with networks.
Message 4 of 10
score_building
Senior Contributor

txjohn lists two of my current favorites and of the 2 Alliant may be an option for you now but CLs appear to be score based not income based... so you may want to pump up the volume on your scores first if at all possible. even if you can squeeze out just a few more points to get you over 650 b4 apping that could make a difference.

personally i wouldn't even bother with pen fed with your current score range assuming it is based on real (not FAKO) scores.

These are in my opinion slightly easier for lower scores or blemished reports YMMV:

AFFINITY

CCCU 

JCU

DCU

i listed in order of preference since the last two are known to be quirky and/or disorganized at times but still worth a look imo.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just joined Alliant today with opening up a savings account.  They even threw in $5 for opening it.  Strange, I applied for their Visa card, but when I submitted the app all the next page had on it was a link to their homepage???  I have no clue if I was approved or not.  I did get the inq.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would agree with score_builder, that while it appears the instant pre-approvals are entirely score/credit based, at the same time Alliant does grant credit to those not pre-approved.  Many people who did not get instant offers were able to speak with a LO, provide income verification, etc. and obtain both auto loans and cc's.

So, I would qualify this to be:  Alliant will instantly pre-approve you for credit if your score and credit are good, but that you can qualify with documentation/verification as well.

FYI:  Alliant had me fax income verification.

Message Edited by txjohn on 04-15-2009 08:46 AM
Message 7 of 10
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would agree with score_builder, that while it appears the instant pre-approvals are entirely score/credit based, at the same time Alliant does grant credit to those not pre-approved.  Many people who did not get instant offers were able to speak with a LO, provide income verification, etc. and obtain both auto loans and cc's.

So, I would qualify this to be:  Alliant will instantly pre-approve you for credit if your score and credit are good, but that you can qualify with documentation/verification as well.

FYI:  Alliant had me fax income verification.

I agree with your helpful qualifier.

Alliant didn't ask me for anything but the siggie card.  whereas pen fed wanted notarized paystubs, what my first born child's name would be, etc.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Very Happy

What are you naming your first born?

Message 9 of 10
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

What are you naming your first born?

you guessed right, it's "Pen Fed Jr." Smiley Very Happy
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.