Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which CapOne Rep was right?

tag
SnowBowl
Frequent Contributor

Which CapOne Rep was right?

Alright, here we go! UGH!!  1st rep told me it will be charged with late fee since I made the full amount of payment of $240 on Monday 6/9 but payment due date was on Sunday 6/08. however the 2nd CapOne rep said I wont be charged with any late fees since they do not process payments on Sundays as long as payment is in by 5 PM on 6/9 ... but I made the payment around 7 PM on sunday evening, so whos right? # 1 rep or # 2 rep?  Ugh, freaking sunday due dates screws me up!

on this date 1-22-24 all 3 bureaus are currently frozen until 1-22-26
VantageScore 3.0 EQ 753
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
simi_go
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which CapOne Rep was right?

I would think that you will probably be assessed the late fee, nothing was stopping you from paying it early....at least that is how they will see it.  But if you do get the late fee and this is the first time then just call and be nice about it.  They have a tendency to waive a late fee it if was the first offense.  Just be more careful in the future.

My wallet: Newest to oldest.

Message 2 of 7
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I think, by law, you have to be given until the next business day.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 3 of 7
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Am I the only one who doesn't let his bills get anywhere near the due date? LOL

Why not pay Friday?
FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 4 of 7
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

Why not pay Friday?

No, you are not the only one.  I hardly ever even wait until the due date, unless I have autopay set up.  Even then I sometimes have the payment drafted a few days early. 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 5 of 7
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

I've been burned in the past playing due date/posting time roulette way too often to count...

To eliminate this, I would suggest pay the minimum as soon as your new statement posts.  Then pay the remaining balance (or whatever you decide to pay that month) at your leisure w/o having to sweat posting times; Sundays; hoildays; lunar eclipses and every other excuse CCC's will give to squeeze a late fee out of you.

Message 6 of 7
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

Why not pay Friday?

+1

Yeah I finally learned that lesson a few years ago.  I've paid the CCC's enough in late fees over the years to last me a lifetime!  I PIF all my cards weekly so I never sweat this issue anymore, but we all have busy lives so I do understand how it could sneak up on some people.  

I advised OP to pay the minimum right away, then pay the rest whenever.  Autopay is another option (although I'm not a fan of this as I like to control all debits/credits in my account).  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.