cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Card do you think I can get? Help I am new.

tag
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Which Card do you think I can get? Help I am new.

@candyman925 wrote:

Thank you sir for the reccomendations. I am waiting for a reply from the EO of Capital One. I am hoping maybe they can push me into a different card without a hard pull since their person conviced me in trying for their better card. But I am not holding my breath. I am hoping for the best> The lady I talked to about it today was a bit rude and not helpful so I may call tomorrow. 

So you don't think I would have a chance for Bank of America? If I applied say today or tomorrow? I am very good with my money and I try to take care of my credit. (My mothers credit is trashed so I saw the downside of bad credit.)

I don't think so, even though your FICO score is good (it's considered above average-average) and I have seen approvals with that score, score isn't everything unfortunately.  That utility is hurting you more then you know.  I don't think that BOA is friendly to high utility.  It's unfortunate that the CSR with Capital One pushed you to the Venture.  CapOne triple pulls your reports when applying.  

I'd really go for the Discover if I was you.  I think you have a good chance.  I've seen approvals in the 50% utility range from them.  They just won't honor the 0% balance transfer typically and offer 2.99% or something like that.  Also, the APR will be higher then the best terms.

Who do you currently have the bank card with 5K limit with?  How long have you had it?

What is your AAoA currently?

Sorry for all the questions... just seeing if there are other options.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 11 of 33
Slab
Frequent Contributor

@candyman925 wrote:

I do not. I looked over my report I got (pulled my yearly free ones today to check them out) It doesn't seem to give it to me. the 677 I think is Trans union but I could be wrong the capital one letter is filed in the other room. I could check tomorrow snd report if I am wrong but I think it was Trans Union.

The reason I asked about your Experian report is that AMEX pulls EX and your EX might not have any inquiries on it. My EX is a lot higher than my other scores because there is very little on it and it is a lot longer history than my EQ and TR. You might have a high enough EX to try for the AMEX Blue or BCE which has good rewards and no fee.

Equifax FICO 781, Transunion FICO 821, Experian FICO 807,

810 goal on all three by 3-1-2015
Message 12 of 33
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@Slab wrote:

@candyman925 wrote:

I do not. I looked over my report I got (pulled my yearly free ones today to check them out) It doesn't seem to give it to me. the 677 I think is Trans union but I could be wrong the capital one letter is filed in the other room. I could check tomorrow snd report if I am wrong but I think it was Trans Union.

The reason I asked about your Experian report is that AMEX pulls EX and your EX might not have any inquiries on it. My EX is a lot higher than my other scores because there is very little on it and it is a lot longer history than my EQ and TR. You might have a high enough EX to try for the AMEX Blue or BCE which has good rewards and no fee.

Hey Slab!

The BCE/BCP both charge FTFs unfortunately

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 13 of 33
candyman925

Ask away. I think if calculated correctly and if I don't count the deffered loans it is something like 2 to 3 years. I am not positive eactly but my car loan is last year my 2 credit cars are both from mid summer 2010. 

Also my 5K is with someret trust a local bank 

Message 14 of 33
Slab
Frequent Contributor

i just got the AMEX BCE and there are no membership fees. The BCP has a $75 annual fee. i dont know what FTF is so I am ignorant on that one.

Message 15 of 33
candyman925

Also on my TransUnion I have an old car loan that from 2009 so that might be a bit better. Though that loan is paid in full and closed as of late 2010.

Message 16 of 33
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@Slab wrote:

i just got the AMEX BCE and there are no membership fees. The BCP has a $75 annual fee. i dont know what FTF is so I am ignorant on that one.

Smiley Happy

FTF= Foreign Transaction Fees

Typically banks charge a fee to use overseas.  Most charge 3%.  CUs will usually charge in the 1% or lower range.  

Message 17 of 33
Slab
Frequent Contributor

You can go to Credit Sesame (Free) to check your Experian score if you don't want to pay for a FICO Experian score. I realize Credit Sesame is a FAKO score but it was closer to what AMEX stated my score is. Then you might have a reference to what your EX score is. 

Message 18 of 33
Slab
Frequent Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

@Slab wrote:

Smiley Happy

FTF= Foreign Transaction Fees

Typically banks charge a fee to use overseas.  Most charge 3%.  CUs will usually charge in the 1% or lower range.  

Okay, thanks a lot. I learn something new every time I get on the forum. I wouldn't be where I am at this time if it weren't for all of the good people on this forum giving sound advice. 

Message 19 of 33
candyman925

Does that site do anything to my credit score or does it have any downsides at all? I am very pessimistic when it comes to free sites dealing with my personal info

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.