Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Card is better?

tag
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

Which Card is better?

Citi ThankYou Premier (Citi was included as well I believe. Prequalifed for @ 15.74)

Disocver IT (Prequalified @ 12.49)

BOA Premium Rewards (BOA was included in a BK back in 90's have previously received mailer for Cash Rewards)

AMEX PRG

Capital one Quicksliver (Prequalified @ 14.24)

Spending anywhere about 3000 per month will always PIF. Picked these also because they have no FTF fee.  We dont travel that much. 

Looking for Mom CS High 700s. AAOA 5YRS

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which Card is better?

@Harvey26 wrote:

@Anonymous ThankYou Premier (Citi was included as well I believe. Prequalifed for @ 15.74)

@Disocver IT (Prequalified @ 12.49)

BOA Premium Rewards (BOA was included in a BK back in 90's have previously received mailer for Cash Rewards)

AMEX PRG

@Anonymous one Quicksliver (Prequalified @ 14.24)

Spending anywhere about 3000 per month always PIF. Picked these also because they have no FTF fee. 

Better for what?

Discover is risky for no FTF because not accepted internationally much.  So nuke that.

Some of those cards give you rewards points versus cashback so you have to calculate how much you value a given program's points.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think for people to give really good advise they need to know A bit more. Will she always pay in full? What types of things does she spend on the most? Does she travel a lot? Or just looking for cash back? For each person and their habits a different card may be best. Does she just want one card for all? Or maximize with a couple cards? More info and I bet people on here will give great advise.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

You know too much about your mother's credit tbo.  

Message 4 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Harvey26 wrote:

@Anonymous ThankYou Premier (Citi was included as well I believe. Prequalifed for @ 15.74)

@Disocver IT (Prequalified @ 12.49)

AMEX PRG

@Anonymous one Quicksliver (Prequalified @ 14.24)

Spending anywhere about 3000 per month will always PIF. Picked these also because they have no FTF fee.  We dont travel that much. 

As others have stated, "best" is going to depend on a lot of things.  Trying to build up points with Singapore Airlines?  The Citi or Amex are great for that, but there may be different versions of the cards that Amex and Citi may offer that may make more sense depending on what you spend your money on.  Discover IT is great for 2% or more effective cash back the first year, but may not be very useful for some people after that.  BoA Premium Rewards is a fantastic (and hard to top) card if you have significant balances in BoA, Merrill Lynch and/or Merrill Edge accounts.  Quicksilver is a very mediocre 1.5% back on everything card.  Those cards span a lot of different card types.

Message 5 of 17
happypill
Valued Contributor

You seem focused on the APRs which frankly aren't that good for rewards cards in general.  If APR is the most important thing to you, check out some CU cards that have really low rates.

You failed to share how and where you spend your money, which is the most important factor in determining which is best.  You should have no problem meeting the sign-on bonus requirements of any of these cards so that will be almost as important at least during the first year.  If you have a signifcant banking relationship with BofA, that card blows away the Discover & Capital One cards (and probably the others as well).

Message 6 of 17
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think for people to give really good advise they need to know A bit more. Will she always pay in full? What types of things does she spend on the most? Does she travel a lot? Or just looking for cash back? For each person and their habits a different card may be best. Does she just want one card for all? Or maximize with a couple cards? More info and I bet people on here will give great advise.

Better for rewards or cash back. Which ever is the most bang for our buck. Just one credit card she is only likes having one Major Credit Card. 

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 7 of 17
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@happypill wrote:

You seem focused on the APRs which frankly aren't that good for rewards cards in general.  If APR is the most important thing to you, check out some CU cards that have really low rates.

You failed to share how and where you spend your money, which is the most important factor in determining which is best.  You should have no problem meeting the sign-on bonus requirements of any of these cards so that will be almost as important at least during the first year.  If you have a signifcant banking relationship with BofA, that card blows away the Discover & Capital One cards (and probably the others as well).

Didnt list a spend because its all over tbh lol... I do know that alot of it is grocery spend but everything is random stuff

Message 8 of 17
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@happypill wrote:

We really dont care about APR as they are PIF I just listed those as data points. 

Message 9 of 17
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

If your Mom just wants one card, I'd suggest Visa or MC, as they're likely to be accepted everywhere.  Every now & again, I'll be at a merchant that doesn't accept Amex or Discover.  But I've never encountered a merchant that accepts Discover or Amex and not the other two.

I did note your 'minimal travel' comment (which implies some travel) -- while I believe that Visa's more accepted globally, I've absolutely nothing by way of stats or research to back that up.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.