Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Card should I apply for if any??

tag
CadillacMack
Valued Member

Which Card should I apply for if any??

So I have been working hard to try to get my scores up and they have been coming up slowly and I am excited about that of course... But I would like a card that I could garden for a few months and rebuild my credit. Other than the 2 cards I am an authorized user on, I have no credit cards. My scores are still low so Im not sure what I should apply for or if I even should at this point. Scores are eq 566 ex 568 tu 571 not sure what card I could qualify for I only have 2-3 inquiries, I kind of don't want to do a secured card. If I have to I don't want to do one where I have to put more than $200 up front. Just looking for some advise it could even be about something else that you feel would help. Smiley Happy 

Thanks,

Cadillac Mack

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: Which Card should I apply for if any??

not many cards you would qualify for with those scores but just stay away from

First Premier

Credit One

and other subprime lenders. You could get a Capital One Platinum probably if not request a partially secured card option is the only one that you'll probably get approved for that's not super subprime.

The first two are like a viral disease for your credit report, some credit card companies can refuse your business just for having them on your reports. So don't do it!

Digital Credit Union is good but has to do secured card but they do graduate (unsecures) and with a masters degree Smiley Wink cause DCU is great for rebuilders cause they work with you as your scores grow.

if you can get in get a USAA or Navy Federal secured car as they graduate as well. 

Hate to say it but besides super subprime lenders who coul hurt you in the fture not many you could apply for unless you have someone willing to put you as a joint card holder on a Macy's card. if their score is aboe 720 in person with their name uptop your credit score won't even get checked and you'll get a Macy's store account and a Macy's Amex without even an inquiry

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 2 of 15
CadillacMack
Valued Member

@distantarray wrote:

if their score is aboe 720 in person with their name uptop your credit score won't even get checked and you'll get a Macy's store account and a Macy's Amex without even an inquiry

Thanks for your speedy reply wow LOL! Yea I kind of figured the same. I have an amex that im an authorized user on and it has no limit so it really doesn't show anything on my report, funny. So I guess I will see if my friend will help me with a macy card like you said. Her score is pretty high, so does that mean if I went on like a joint discover account with her they wont even pull my scores?? You kind of lost me there, sorry still learning these LOL.

Thanks again.

Cadillac Mack

Message 3 of 15
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

I went back to some of your history and noticed that you mentioned getting a secured Capital One card - did you decide against that?

I think your best plan of attack is definitely a secured credit card.  Look through the forums and try to find one that reports as unsecured on your credit reports.  Take at least 6 months or one year on that card, and move from there.  Slow and steady wins the race.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 4 of 15
distantarray
Established Contributor

@CadillacMack wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

if their score is aboe 720 in person with their name uptop your credit score won't even get checked and you'll get a Macy's store account and a Macy's Amex without even an inquiry

Thanks for your speedy reply wow LOL! Yea I kind of figured the same. I have an amex that im an authorized user on and it has no limit so it really doesn't show anything on my report, funny. So I guess I will see if my friend will help me with a macy card like you said. Her score is pretty high, so does that mean if I went on like a joint discover account with her they wont even pull my scores?? You kind of lost me there, sorry still learning these LOL.

Thanks again.

Cadillac Mack

joint account with authorized user and no credit pull only applies if you apply in person and ONLY with Macy''s and I think Bloomingdales not sure about bloomingdales though but Macy's for sure. But remember if she's willing to do it for you she's got to have a lot of trust in you =P

Message 5 of 15
isoldmyatlas
Frequent Contributor

My SO has scores similar to yours due to a medical collection (thankfully falling off in February).  He applied for the Bank of America 1-2-3 Cash Rewards card and was denied, but was counteroffered the $99/$500 partially secured card.  You may want to try for that, especially since it will eventually unsecure if you treat it well, and you can even PC it to another card.

TU: 793 (6/13/17) | EQ: 787 (7/17/17) | EX: 788 (6/15/18)

Cap1 Quicksilver, $4,750 (4/2012); Discover IT, $40,000 (10/2012); Chase Amazon Rewards, $14,600 (10/2012); AMEX Hilton HHonors, $15,000 (11/2012); AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, $15,000 (01/2013); Barclaycard Arrival+, $10,000 (07/2013); Citi Home Depot $8,000 (06/2018)
Message 6 of 15
CadillacMack
Valued Member

Uhhh, I didnt really decide against the cap one, I had just read so many negative things about them I just wanted to do more research I guess and see what else could be out there for me, if any. I do however see your point and I may just do that, and get the cap one card.

Thanks,

Cadillac Mack

Message 7 of 15
distantarray
Established Contributor

capital one is not terrible but just the card will never grow withyou unless you threaten to stop business to their executive office when you get better cards. Which is not the best way to do business, since majority of their cash is generated from sub-prime loans, but with the venture card and cash back card they can somewhat compete with prime cards so that's why they're not reflected very bad like the others.

Capita one and DCU would be my top two choices or start, and probably a wells fargo secured or a local credit union if possible, just make sure the card graduates, you don't want to lose AAoA when you close the accounts for better ones.

DCU is good cause they givve you a free fico score monthly for having an account with them Fico EQ04

Message 8 of 15
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Since I don't know much about secured cards I will just share this thread with you.  I'm not sure how accurate all of the information is, but these posters seem pretty sure about the cards, and there are links to product pages within the thread.

Good luck!

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Secured-card-that-graduates-to-unsecured/m-p/1402630/hi...

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 9 of 15
toppers555
Established Contributor

Bofa has been very good to me tbh , I never have had an bad experience with my card that started secured ,and unsecured  2 months ago. I know alot of people complain about AF , but In my honest opinion , I think some people need to get off their high horse.  20-40 is not that big of a deal.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.