cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Card worth to keep even thou with the AF???

tag
ZS1988
Established Member

Which Card worth to keep even thou with the AF???

I believe that some cards are worth to keep even with their high AF.

Chase Sapphire Perfer - $95 AF - ( I think because the point malls, and you can transfer point)

Chase Priority Club - $49AF - (You get a free night every year, which paid for the card it self)

Chase Hyatt - $79AF - ( A Bit more Expensive then Priority Club, but It pay for it self every year with 1 free night)

Any other card worth to keep??

US Bank Platinum: $2000
Cap 1: $1500

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Re: Which Card worth to keep even thou with the AF???

@ZS1988 wrote:

I believe that some cards are worth to keep even with their high AF.

Chase Sapphire Perfer - $95 AF - ( I think because the point malls, and you can transfer point)

Chase Priority Club - $49AF - (You get a free night every year, which paid for the card it self)

Chase Hyatt - $79AF - ( A Bit more Expensive then Priority Club, but It pay for it self every year with 1 free night)

Any other card worth to keep??

+1 on the Priority Club card. I just got it and it's a great deal for the AF. I plan on using my free night international when the time comes. 

Message 2 of 6
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Most of the hotel cards out there fall into this category.

* Marriott Premier Rewards: 1 free night in Cat1-5 annually, plus 15 nights towards elite qualification

* U.S. Bank Club Carlson Premier: 40,000 points upon renewal, plus the last night is free on a 2+ night point redemption

Other travel-heavy cards that some would use despite the AF are:

* Amex Platinum: Lounge access, SPG gold, airline credit, FHR

* J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton: lounge club, Marriott/Ritz gold status, Club-level upgrades, airline credit

* Amex SPG: night/stay credits towards elite status

* Chase United Club Card, Citi AA Exec, etc.: Lounge access, airline and/or hotel perks

* Chase Southwest Premier: 6000 points upon renewal

* Chase Explorer: Free bag

* Chase BA: Free companion ticket with 30k in annual spend

* Citi Hilton Reserve: Hilton Gold status plus 1 free night with 10k spend

As always it always depends on your travel and spend patterns.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 3 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Any AF which is justified by the financial rewards; keeping in mind the credit strata of the individual.

When I was deep subprime, frankly the AF on the Orchard card (which incidently I justified with it's no FTF as I purchase shirts made in the UK for work) was acceptable, and the BOFA secured AF I made bank on with the 1-2-3 rewards package and my typical spend rate... think paid for itself in just over a month.  My Zync + Packs AF with how often I eat at restaurants, already paid for itself as well in 3 months.

Likewise where I'm at now, the BCP over the BCE is no question for me, I make up the difference just in gasoline alone.  

And really, calling it what it is, if I'd been in the credit strata even worse than where I started, I could've easily justified the FP's AF just for building credit purposes.  

I think there's just too many variables in play unless you restrict it to a particular credit strata, and really it almost has to be the top end as in the deep subprime category what need and what you can afford financially dominates any discussion of AF worthiness.

        
Message 4 of 6
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Any AF which is justified by the financial rewards; keeping in mind the credit strata of the individual.

When I was deep subprime, frankly the AF on the Orchard card (which incidently I justified with it's no FTF as I purchase shirts made in the UK for work) was acceptable, and the BOFA secured AF I made bank on with the 1-2-3 rewards package and my typical spend rate... think paid for itself in just over a month.  My Zync + Packs AF with how often I eat at restaurants, already paid for itself as well in 3 months.

Likewise where I'm at now, the BCP over the BCE is no question for me, I make up the difference just in gasoline alone.  

And really, calling it what it is, if I'd been in the credit strata even worse than where I started, I could've easily justified the FP's AF just for building credit purposes.  

I think there's just too many variables in play unless you restrict it to a particular credit strata, and really it almost has to be the top end as in the deep subprime category what need and what you can afford financially dominates any discussion of AF worthiness.

+1 ! !

If one can justify the AF, then one can justify the card.  If it's a benefit to you, why get rid of it?  There was a reason for applying for the card to begin with, unless that reasoning has changed or one is just a "card collector".

I dumped my HSBC toy card for just that reason.  It no longer served a purpose with a $1550 limit and $59 AF.  They wouldn't waive  the fee, and wouldn't CLI, so it was time to  dump them.

Message 5 of 6
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

For me, the yearly rewards should be at least 2 times the AF to consider it.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.