Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Cards Offer Check By Mail Payments

tag
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Which Cards Offer Check By Mail Payments

That was vague.  I'm looking for any cards that allow you to pay bills by check that also generate rewards but don't count as cash advances.  For example, one of our car loans only accepts checks by mail or ACH from checking accounts.  I'd like to have a card that will cut a check payable to them so I can realize some rewards on the payments.  For that matter, how about mortgate or rent payments?  Does it even exist?

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
mirachi
Regular Contributor

Re: Which Cards Offer Check By Mail Payments

Do you mean if you can pay your bill by mailing a check to the CCCs rather than paying online?

If so, I believe unless you opt into the paperless statements, you can do so with all CCCs...

Last app 5/7/2014

No apps until 3/31/2016!
Message 2 of 29
jake619
Frequent Contributor

No.  I mean this.  My car payment is $636/mo.  I can't charge it because the creditor only accepts mailed checks or ACH pulls to pay it.  This eliminates > $600 I don't earn rewards on.  So I want my CC to bill pay my loan via snail mail, earn the rewards on $636 and not classify as cash advance.

Message 3 of 29
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

I know NFCU, BofA and barclays send checks that you can use to pay w.e you want. But some have % fees so it would cancel any rewards you trying to get.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 4 of 29
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Oh, basically one of those access checks. I doubt you'd be able to get it NOT counted as a cash advance unless it was in some promo period or something. Either way, the issuers usually tack a Balance Transfer fee on to it, so it probably wouldn't make any financial sense anyway.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 5 of 29
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Yea I wasn't thinking in terms of those "convenience checks" you get but more along the likes of a card with true bill pay services.  I guess when I start my own CCC I'll offer it. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 29
mirachi
Regular Contributor

Based on an earlier topic, it seems like it would be considered a cash advance?

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Paying-My-Auto-Loan-with-A-Credit-Card/td-p/935628 

Same link also suggested chargesmart.com so depending on your lender that might work?

EDIT: more information about chargesmart here http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/10/bill-paying-made-easier-but-for-a-fee/ 

Last app 5/7/2014

No apps until 3/31/2016!
Message 7 of 29
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@jake619 wrote:

Yea I wasn't thinking in terms of those "convenience checks" you get but more along the likes of a card with true bill pay services.  I guess when I start my own CCC I'll offer it. Smiley Happy

Any timeline for this!   Anyway, I assume the reason the payee doesn't take credit cards is that they don't want to pay the "swipe fee" to the credit card company.   If what you suggested exist, all merchants would want that instead of credit cards, as:

a) They get to keep all the money

b) The consumer pays no more than before (no BT fee, no CA fee or interest)

leading to:

c) The credit card company processes the transfer for free, X to the payee, X from the user.   EDIT: and gives rewards anyway

which could suggest what such things aren't offered.   So when you start Jake "BIG 619" Credit Card Company, remember to charge a large AF so that you get some profit!

Message 8 of 29
boomersooner02000
Valued Member

Sign up for a Amex Bluebird. Then find yourself a CVS or Office Depot that will let you purchase $500 Vanilla reloads with a miles or cash back credit card(make sure you're not charged a cash advance fee). Then load those onto your bluebird and use the bill pay feature of bluebird to pay your car etc...

Message 9 of 29
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1 Good idea

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.