cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Cards Should I Apply For, Before I Garden?

tag
XxRaVeNxX
Regular Contributor

Which Cards Should I Apply For, Before I Garden?

So, coming to the end of my rebuilding, and would like some opinions on decent credit cards to app for before I garden.

FAKO from TU Credit Score:  TU: 671 EX: 636 EQ: 638

AAOA 3.8 Years

Inquiries:  TU: 16 Experian : 5 Equifax: 20

(More than half of these was when I was car shopping/refinancing shopping. If you credit union shop, does it fall under the

one inquiry criteria?)

Derogatory: 0 (4 Collections removed through Disputes, BBB, and PFD.)

I do have 3 Sallie Mae Loans, which defaulted and state: Claim filed with government for  Insured portion of balance on

loan. Whatever this means, this should fall off in 2014.)                     

Current Credit CardsSecured Capital One, Balance of $0/$225, Open in April of 2012

Capital One Platinum, Balance of $0/300, Open in July of 2012 (This one was an accident, I just saw

pre-approved unsecured! Before I found the forums, and learned capital one doesn’t grow with you.)

Kay Jewelers, Balance of $1900/$2500, Open in August 2012. (One of the reasons for re-building credit,

engagement.)

Amazon, Balance of $31/600, Open in August 2012

Vehicle Loan Refinanced from 22% to 11% through NFCU, few weeks ago. 

(Main reason I started to repair my credit. This hasn’t hit my credit report yet. Thinking I should app before

it does, as it may drop my score.)

I was looking at Rooms to Go credit and I was looking at Care Credit, and since I’m in with GE. I was thinking why not? (And I need both of the services) But since I’m in with NFCU (due to the advice of everyone on the forums), I figure if I got a decent limit through one of the cards, I could just finance the furniture and the medical on of their cards. This is a smarter route, correct, then two 'store/charge cards'?

Also, which one of NFCU’s card are the best, starting out? More likely, to be approved for? I saw a pre-approval under my offers, but it disappears and appears sporadic.

I’m not sure why people go say go for Discover IT cards, as Discover isn't accepted everywhere, and the Amex Zync seems more like a debit card to me.  If I do go discover, looking at the Discover More Student Card? Can this Card Graduate?

I would like to go for something with airline miles rewards such as Starwood American Express or Delta Gold Skymiles American Express.

I am also looking at the Wal-Mart Store Card, since it can graduate into a Discover.

Also, looking at the Victoria Secret Card, since it would be nice to get a card using only a soft pull, and it’s one of the full places the misses can get undergarments that fit her.

Opinions? Any cards I overlooked?

I know people, hate reading a lot, tried to sparse it out. So, everything’s easier to read. May have to leave the forums after this, I tendency to get an itchy app trigger finger, when I see people get approval, with similar scores.

Chase Southwest $5000 - November 2012 Wal Mart $1000 - November 2012 NFCU Visa $5,000 - Sept 2012 NFCU NavCheck $3,000 - October 2012 Amazon $900 - Aug 2012 Kay's Jewlery $2700 - Aug 2012 Buckle $250 (Shopping cart trick) - October 2012 Roaman's $250 (Shopping cart trick) - October 2012 Capital One Secured $225 - April 2012 Capital One Platinum $2500 - July 2012
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
XxRaVeNxX
Regular Contributor

Re: Which Cards Should I Apply For, Before I Garden?

Wow...that was easy...I expected to wait half the day for more replies before I pulled trigger on NFCH...So, I guess I'll probably skip getting CareCredit or a rooms to go GE backed Card.Even though there was no APR listed, it's gotta be less than 24.4% offer by GE backed cards....I still may pull the trigger on Discover and American Express Cards, and thinking may apply for their NavCheck Overdraft..

Opinions on apping for the Discover/AMEX, or anything else I listed?

Chase Southwest $5000 - November 2012 Wal Mart $1000 - November 2012 NFCU Visa $5,000 - Sept 2012 NFCU NavCheck $3,000 - October 2012 Amazon $900 - Aug 2012 Kay's Jewlery $2700 - Aug 2012 Buckle $250 (Shopping cart trick) - October 2012 Roaman's $250 (Shopping cart trick) - October 2012 Capital One Secured $225 - April 2012 Capital One Platinum $2500 - July 2012
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.