SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Which Cards Would You Cancel ???

@longtimelurker wrote:

Your case was particularly straightforward, with:

1) You now have prime cards. 

2) No utilization issues, so closing cards doesn't hurt

3) Really high fees on bad cards.

So you've done the right thing, especially on the First Premier.  I would try the EO route with the remaining Cap One, and unless they remove the fee, close the card.

+1.  Absolutely, contact the EO on the Cap One CCs!

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 11 of 13
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

As far as contacting the EO...

Phone Call? GW letter?

I actually started to draft a letter but it seems as though i might not want to send something hand written. At times i can be impractically frugal, this time to the point where printer usage was off limits unless needed for something that we couldn't do without. So it sat for about a year unused. I once worked at a fast food place where it was drilled into our heads that paper waste was the #1 avoidable cost and that carried over to my home. Notes sent to the school are written on the back of flyers they send home with homework, shopping lists go on the back of the last shopping trips receipt and all other lists and notes are made on junk mail or envelopes. Yes, i am aware that i'm nuts Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 382 - 418 (2005) -- Current Score: 628 (TU08) -- 661 (Beacon 5.0) -- Goal Score: 750+
Into the Garden 6-15-2014 -- Digging in the dirt until 6-2015
Message 12 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Carrie_in_Pa wrote:

As far as contacting the EO...

Phone Call? GW letter?

I actually started to draft a letter but it seems as though i might not want to send something hand written. At times i can be impractically frugal, this time to the point where printer usage was off limits unless needed for something that we couldn't do without. So it sat for about a year unused. I once worked at a fast food place where it was drilled into our heads that paper waste was the #1 avoidable cost and that carried over to my home. Notes sent to the school are written on the back of flyers they send home with homework, shopping lists go on the back of the last shopping trips receipt and all other lists and notes are made on junk mail or envelopes. Yes, i am aware that i'm nuts Smiley Happy

Usual approach is just email to the EO (google "Capital One CEO email")   They will call you back.   Just say that you would like the annual fee removed and if that is not possible you will have to close the card.

Others might suggest you ask for more (credit limit increase and conversion to quick silver for example), which you can do, but IMO you don't really need as those can be addressed later.  If they can't remove the fee, you don't really care about the rest, the card should be closed.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.