cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Citi cards has the most lenient criteria?

tag
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Which Citi cards has the most lenient criteria?

After my house closes next week I want to apply with Citi.  They are the last big bank I don't have an account with that I would like one with.  Also the 0% intro offers going on are enticing.  The three I am looking at are the Platninum Select Visa, Diamon Preferred, Simplicity, Thankyou, and Forward.  I don't care about rewards, I have that covered with other cards.

Stats:

Scores FICO 700+/- across all three 699 was my mid on my mortgage app

UT: very low ~2% tops

AAoA 5.8/4.8/5.4

INQ: 5/2/5

Two Derogs, both unpaid collections for apartments in 2006.

Newest account was Amex in November with it's corresponded inquries(two on EX)  Also have INQ in January for the mortgage pull.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
dharalex
Established Contributor

Re: Which Citi cards has the most lenient criteria?

I was approved for the thank you preferred with an EQ in the 680's. I had some lates, but no unpaid collections. I also had a preapproval offer. Good luck!

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
boomhower
Valued Contributor

@dharalex wrote:
I was approved for the thank you preferred with an EQ in the 680's. I had some lates, but no unpaid collections. I also had a preapproval offer. Good luck!

I opted out of preapprovals when I apped for my mortgage so I haven't seen them in a while.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your scores and all that seem good. I'd go for whichever one suits your personal needs. The Thank You cards all have some pretty serious bonuses going right now, the balance transfer cards don't seem like something you need. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally I found the Diamond Preferred to be completely useless (those citi bucks or whatever they call them were just pointless).

After a couple of months I've PCed to a Forward and am a very happy camper.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forward just because there really aren't any other cards like it.  Platinum Select is the same as Chase Freedom and Discover More. 

Message 6 of 10
UpNComing
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Personally I found the Diamond Preferred to be completely useless (those citi bucks or whatever they call them were just pointless).

After a couple of months I've PCed to a Forward and am a very happy camper.

+1

CSP ($5k); Chase MileagePlus Explorer Visa Sig. ($6k); Chase Freedom Visa Sig. ($6k); BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa Sig. ($5k); Amex PRG (NPSL); Amex BCE ($1k); Citi Thank You ($5.4k); Barclay Apple ($4.2k) CapOne Cash ($2.5k) CapOne Platinum ($2.5k) Wells Fargo Home Project Visa ($10.3k) Discover IT ($1.5k) WalMart ($3k); Lowes ($3k); Amazon ($5k); Kohls($1.5k)

Scores: Equ Fico 715 ~ Exp 724 ~ TU Fico 682
Message 7 of 10
boomhower
Valued Contributor

I'm not looking for rewards, don't care in the least about them for this card. I just want the easiest card to get for the 0% offer.

Message 8 of 10
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Hey Boomhower!  I have the Diamond Preferred and got it for the 18 months 0% balance transfer offer.  I didn't need any rewards cards either (got that covered) so it's perfect for me.  I believe that they are still offering the 18 months 0% for both purchases and BT with a $100 statement credit for $500 spent in the first 3 months.  Sounds like what you are looking for and Citi is generous with CLs.  Good luck on what every you decide.  Check out "NerdWallet" for advice on the best BT cards.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 9 of 10
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

Hey OP nice credit profile! My perception of CITI is they are very strict lender. Your two collections are old and approaching the seven year mark. Not sure if that will prevent them from accepting you or not. If you decide to apply, please let us know how they respond. Good luck!

Transunion: 713 FICO (5/13/2014) MyFico
Experian: 789 FICO (4/10/12) Lender Pull
Equifax: 695 FICO (1/10/14) MyFico

My cards: Chase United Mileage Plus 7000CL (3/12), CITI Simplicity 1800CL (9/12), Cap1 Platinum 1000CL (2/10), Cap1 Cash back 1500CL (11/11), Apple Barclay's 2500CL (11/11), Discover IT 6000CL (5/13)

My Primary Financial Goal is to put down my utl%.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.