Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Citi is better for me?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which Citi is better for me?

Sorry, I did not mention I do not want an AF on the card. And I already have 3 Amex cards so I would rather take something with other system
Message 11 of 29
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

I have a pretty strong array of cards including five AMEX. I have three CITI. I am a bit stumped, as some of the others, as to how you came to the conclusion that CITI is subprime. You seem to base it on APR. However as "DI" pointed out, the APR is determined by the consumer's credit condition.

Mine are all 5.24 and 20,000. I hardly call that subprime. They issue CLI ever ninety days and there is never a hassle with use. They continuously offer great BTs.

I would rethink this, and consider , that just as with scores, what you get from a lender is based on much criteria, and the standard of prime is determined by the applicants credit standing.

Best wishes,

CI

@Anonymous wrote:
I want to apply for a citi card. My credit is excellent, I know Citi is subprime, but what would be their best card as far as initial CL and rewards? Any advice?

Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry, I did not mention I do not want an AF on the card. And I already have 3 Amex cards so I would rather take something with other system

Here are the no annual fee cards ---->click and pick.

Happy Turkey day everybody.

Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is not just APR... If you check out for instance creditboards or whogavemecredit you will see that it does not take much to get approved for a decent line with Citi unlike AMEX, Nordstrom or Ameriprise for instance... Somebody has told me on these forums that this is not the lender but the product that makes it subprime... That is why I was inquiring of the best Citi products with no AF even though most of it's products are subprime making it a subprime lender
Message 14 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

* tiptoes into the whole prime-vs-subprime debate yet again *

There's no such thing as prime vs subprime with cards or banks. Yes, there are stinker cards, and yes, there are stinker banks, but there isn't a category in FICO scoring for prime vs subprime. The closest thing is national banks vs regional banks and CU's. FICO wants to see at least one national bank on there, although if you (understandably) want nuthin' but CU cards, that is a perfectly good option, one that might lose you a few points, but not many.

Prime vs subprime is very much an emotional and personal judgment, not fixed categories or measurable (and published) factors. Some people hate all AF cards, no matter what, placing an AmEx Plat card on the same level as a First We-Heart-Fees Visa. Others consider any bank that yanked them around in the past as subprime, meaning that we have many here who consider Citi/ Chase/ AmEx/ BofA suprime and others who love their First Continental, as that was the card that helped them get started back on the road to credit health. Yet another category looks at the health of the underlying bank, speculating on its future, and therefore calls all card from a somewhat shaky institution "subprime."

In the end, "prime vs subprime" DOESN'T MATTER!!!

What matters is whether the card fits your current credit and financial needs, whether any fees and other expenses are outweighed by the use you get from it (including rewards), and whether you can get the occasional help you might need from customer service. All the rest is just ya-ya-ya.

Frankly, the majority of the posts I read here labeling this, that, and the other as "sub-prime" seem to come from two motives: either the poster feels that s/he was treated unfairly at some point by that card/ bank and can't or won't let go of the anger, bringing it up over and over; or the poster is bored and tossing out the "sub-prime" label as a lure to stir up some online fighting. Neither is particularly relevant to the purpose of these forums.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 29
wmarat
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
This is not just APR... If you check out for instance creditboards or whogavemecredit you will see that it does not take much to get approved for a decent line with Citi unlike AMEX, Nordstrom or Ameriprise for instance... Somebody has told me on these forums that this is not the lender but the product that makes it subprime... That is why I was inquiring of the best Citi products with no AF even though most of it's products are subprime making it a subprime lender

Parodoxically the best cards do have AF.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

best among no AF cards if it makes it easier
Message 17 of 29
wmarat
Valued Contributor

There is no best credit card. It all depends what are you looking for, what are your needs.

I do not know Citi card which offers better APR or rewards than Ameriprise.

On the side note. I do agree that all this prime/subprime thing is very subjective. I use this term to express my satisfaction/dissatisfaction with product/lender.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

The answer is in the beginning of the thread. I want a good CL 
Message 19 of 29
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

Yes and no.

The real answer lies in your credit file. Any lender has their best and least cards. If you want a high CL card, then whatever is in your credit file will be the strongest determinant for how high that limit might be.

(it has been proven time and again that scores may get you in, but they don't guaranty the highest limits)

CI

@Anonymous wrote:
The answer is in the beginning of the thread. I want a good CL 

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.