Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Credit Card to apply for...

tag
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Which Credit Card to apply for...

Not sure why AMEX charge card will help you any more than any other card.  If you mean AMEX for backdating, any AMEX will do including their revolvers.  Aside from any backdate, any card will help you over time.  I like AMEX charge cards as they can be used to manage utilization.  However, I thought your goal was to maximize your rewards.  Aside from BCP, there are better rewards cards out there currently.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 11 of 22
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Crash: Isn't the 2% CB on everything from Fidelity?  FIA is the card issuer for BOFA's cards at least and maybe others, thought they were completely seperate?

Fidelity is just the name attached to it. FIA is who approves, provides customer service, and gives the rewards. I think it is a great choice to have since it is 2% everywhere instead of on silly categories. Even if they do reduce the limit on another card I would do it. The Bank of Trash rewards card is not that great in my opinion.

The American Express Everyday is also a good choice for groceries at 3% and 2% at department stores and gas stations.

The US Bank card looks like a good choice but it seems to me it will not last that long. 5% at such popular categories and a $25 bonus for each $100 redeemed as a gift card is just setting them up to lose money.

Thanks (and to Crash) for the FIA vs. Fidelity explanation.

So it's 5.25% effectively in those categories, not necessarily an unsurmountable difference.  My only question looking at that card is the high rewards bracket in those popular categories, but also the $0 AF.  It really is an astonishingly good card, and when you compare that vs. the signup bonuses other cards offer it just might work out.

        
Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Crashem wrote:

Not sure why AMEX charge card will help you any more than any other card.  If you mean AMEX for backdating, any AMEX will do including their revolvers.  Aside from any backdate, any card will help you over time.  I like AMEX charge cards as they can be used to manage utilization.  However, I thought your goal was to maximize your rewards.  Aside from BCP, there are better rewards cards out there currently.

On average I spend about 30k a year on credit card transactions which I pay off immediately. Rewards sounds nice but I was just wondering would a charge card be a big plus to my credit profile. I intend to spend about 18k on on the CSP for travel and restaurants(I try to go to Korea twice a year). The other 12k I'll spend on bills, groceries, medical bills, gas and gifts. The advantage with the AMEX as Crash said is backdating so my AAoA won't take too much of a hit. Just heard rumors that Charge cards look good on your credit profile because it shows you have a sense of control of your finances.

Message 13 of 22
Crashem
Valued Contributor

FICO won't treat charge cards any differently aside from the newer FICO scoring models not including any balance in utilization calculations.  As for manual review, I doubt a charge card really means anything.  You should just as much control of finances by PIFing every month.  In fact, IMHO, a credit card PIFed shows better control of finances than a charge card as the charge card forces you to PIF.  There was an old rumor that FICO scores liked diversity in types of cards (credit cards and charge cards, etc), but that has pretty much been disproven.  The AMEX charge card is however still useful for managing utilization as its balance isn't figured into most FICO scoring models.

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Crashem wrote:

FICO won't treat charge cards any differently aside from the newer FICO scoring models not including any balance in utilization calculations.  As for manual review, I doubt a charge card really means anything.  You should just as much control of finances by PIFing every month.  In fact, IMHO, a credit card PIFed shows better control of finances than a charge card as the charge card forces you to PIF.  There was an old rumor that FICO scores liked diversity in types of cards (credit cards and charge cards, etc), but that has pretty much been disproven.  The AMEX charge card is however still useful for managing utilization as its balance isn't figured into most FICO scoring models.

Could you explain this one a little more? As in because of a lack of credit limit, they overlook the utilization?

Message 15 of 22
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Newer FICO scoring models (Fico 04/Fico 08) ignore AMEX charge card balances in utilization calculations as term is listed as 1 month.  The AMEX charge card will still get a ding against utilization portion of FICO for having a balance, but the balance itself will not be included in the utilization percentage part of FICO caculations.  With older FICO scoring models (FICO 98), AMEX charge card balances are used in utilization calculations with high balance used as credit limit.

Message 16 of 22
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Oi, Crash types faster than I do.  Whacked post.

        
Message 17 of 22
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:
Oi, Crash types faster than I do.  Whacked post.

Not on the ipad.  Going to have a hard time beating my typing skillz

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I learn something new everyday. Thanks Crashem.

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Talked to another rep today and now they tell me my Chase freedom cannot be upgraded to a CSP. I'm just gonna app for the CSP and AMEX Starwoods card to round out and finish my credit cards. Wonder if it has something to do with the 9 billion dollar loss JP Morgan reported on Thursday.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.