Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Credit Cards Should I Close?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which Credit Cards Should I Close?

Roughly speaking, I'd say, close any really high-interest cards and/or those with annual fees, and/or cards that you don't regularly use (or use at all) anymore and don't expect to use again. Transfer balances as you can to lower-interest cards to consolidate what you owe (get CLI's first when possible so you don't push your utilization too high, and remember that you can't transfer balances between cards granted by the same issuer as a general rule).

Message 11 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I do travel occasionally. Although I do not have a particular airline or hotel that I book with. I definitly spend a lot on gas, groceries from local supermarkets mainly and I also dine out frequently. And yes, I love the extended warranty features of both the PRG and CSP when it comes to purchases on laptops, phones etc. Of course, I don't buy a new phone every year or laptop etc.

To be honest, I would like to know which of the two card I use the most (PRG and CSP) can be utilized more efficiently... 

Do you fly Delta (PRG) or Southwest and United (CSP).? 

Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get rid of store cards and high interest rate cards 

Message 13 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Store cards have my vote, too!

Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I do travel occasionally. Although I do not have a particular airline or hotel that I book with. I definitly spend a lot on gas, groceries from local supermarkets mainly and I also dine out frequently. And yes, I love the extended warranty features of both the PRG and CSP when it comes to purchases on laptops, phones etc. Of course, I don't buy a new phone every year or laptop etc.

To be honest, I would like to know which of the two card I use the most (PRG and CSP) can be utilized more efficiently... 

I fly Delta mainly/ American airlines as well.

Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
  • Close all store cards
  • Close BoA card.
  • Close AMEX BCE
  • Close Discover Chrome or PC it to a 5% rotating categories card. 
  • Close Capital One Platinum 
  • Use CSP portal + Freedom UR points for 25% bonus if you don't want to use their airline partners (100,000 MR's will get you $1,250 in airfare). 

Hyatt points also carry a signficant value so you could transfer MR points there, so limiting yourself to just airlines when you have a Chase card in your pocket isn't a requirement to get your money's worth. 

Oh cool, thanks. Hopefully I can utilize it much better going forward!

Message 16 of 28
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

MRs from PRG will give you flexibility. You can transfer to Delta for Delta flights, and to British Airways for AA flights. The upshot of British Airways is that you can avoid AA's close-in award booking fee.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

MRs from PRG will give you flexibility. You can transfer to Delta for Delta flights, and to British Airways for AA flights. The upshot of British Airways is that you can avoid AA's close-in award booking fee.

Slightly off topic but it would be great if Citi and AA could come to terms and become transfer partners. If not, I'd like to see American move their cards to another bank like Wells Fargo or something. 

Message 18 of 28
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Slightly off topic but it would be great if Citi and AA could come to terms and become transfer partners. If not, I'd like to see American move their cards to another bank like Wells Fargo or something. 

+1  I'd rather it be Bank of America than Wells Fargo.  Of course, we can't ignore AA's partnership with Barclay.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to create your own spreadsheet with the credit cards horizontal across the top and your spend categories down the left.

Then in each cell you want to put the percentage cashback or your own calculated dollar value that you receive from each card.

Go down each column and if that value isn't the highest among all the cards, delete the value entirely (or set it to $0).

Add up each credit card column of value at the bottom, subtract annual fee.  That's the absolute only way to tell you if you should close it or not.

I track my spend manually every week (I made my own website tracker for this) and re-calculate automatically if a card is valuable or not.  Some store cards might be valuable to keep because $0 annual fee and if they earn 5% back even twice a year, it's worth it to me to keep it around.  I don't shop at Amazon much, but the 2-3 times a year I do shop there, the store card has value so I keep it.

If you never carry a balance or report a balance, then you don't need the utilization float from other cards.  If you DO carry a balance, you need to include that in your estimates for utilization help.

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.