Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Credit Cards to Apply For with a score of 710

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which Credit Cards to Apply For with a score of 710

Hi Guys

I just got my credit report updated, and my score raised 106 points (604 to 710) ( for some reason they were reporting wrong and I corrected them) (scores came from creditkarma however last I checked it was 604 then it jumped to 710 when credit reports were corrected, so FICO score is more than likely close to this) I have no negatives on my account, 3 accounts opened; however, since its christmas season I have a 55% Utilization but more than likely can be expected around this season.

So to save me some Inquiries, what are some reccomended credit cards I should apply for with a 710 score?  Zions bank, CitiBank, TD Bank, etc.   I am looking for a credit card that I can keep for a very long time to help build history.  Im not a fan of HSBC, GEMB, Direct Merchants Bank, and least of all HATE World Financial Bank.

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Which Credit Cards to Apply For with a score of 710

Two things:

I wouldn't go app'ing until I knew either my FICO EQ or FICO TU (or both, but preferably EQ). There's really no telling what your FICO's are --CreditKarma scores can be kinda close in some cases, but way, way off in others.

I also wouldn't go app'ing until I had my util way down. You'll get much better deals and greater chances of acceptance if you first shine up your reports by reducing the util. Otherwise, you run the risks of more rejections and of getting stuck with go-nowhere cards with built-in low CL's that won't grow with you.

What are you looking for in a CC (rewards, low APR, BT, etc.), other than just having another CC? It helps to know what you want from a card.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 13
wfreeman3
New Contributor

Keep in mind that CreditKarma is FAKO, and 710 could mean a lot less or a lot more in FICO terms.  I would first suggest that you pull your TU FICO to know exactly where you stand if your trying to pinpoint a possible approval.  If your real FICO is 710 or higher, I would recommend either Discover or PNC (National City).

Starting Score: 766
Current Score: 766
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for your help and kindness.  I know ive posted a lot of new questions which resulted in a few topics/threads, however im new to looking at my credit.

I am going to call Equifax and possibly TransUnion to get my FICO score.  I also have to ask about why my CapitalOne card says "consumer disputed meets FCRA."  on the comments part.  There were no lates on this credit card, and my other capitalOne Card only has 2 30 day lates (I was about 5 minutes late paying deadline - Bummer)   Would this hurt my FICO score, or should I just forget about why it mentions this?

HaulingforSoup -  I would really enjoy a great card with great rewards.  However, I tried pre-approval of HSBC's rewards card to see if I met requirments (not to actually apply as I dont think much of HSBC)

Also one more question.  If my FICO score is 710, is this a good score for someone at the age of 25.

Thanks everyone for your help.  I will post back when I order my Equifax FICO scores.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry I forgot to finish the statement:

HaulingforSoup - I would really enjoy a great card with great rewards. However, I tried pre-approval of HSBC's rewards card to see if I met requirments (not to actually apply as I dont think much of HSBC) But I got denied their rewards card with no annual fee.  I got pre approved for their 2% cash back card with a $59 annual fee though.

Message 5 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

It's up to you whether the 2% cashback makes the $59 AF worthwhile. If it were your go-to card, and you used it a lot, it might. You'd have to charge $2,950 each year just to recoup the $59, but again, that might be peanuts if you ran everything through it --gas, groceries, cell phone, etc etc.

As for where to get your scores, yes, you can easily get your EQ FICO directly from Equifax. For your TU FICO, you'd have to go to www.transunioncs.com (note the cs at the end.) The regular TransUnion site will sell you your FAKO instead. Otherwise, you can get both scores here at myFICO. Click on the products page. If you just buy the scores, without going through Score Watch or Suze, be sure to save the scores and reports to disk and/or print them out, because they only display for 30 days or so.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 13
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry I forgot to finish the statement:

HaulingforSoup -

Ha, that's an interesting misread.  Maybe "Hauling for Soup" now works for Campbell's Soup Company.

Message 7 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I always enjoyed it when spell check suggested that my name be "Hallucinogens" instead. Smiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whoops. Sorry about that Haulingthescoreup.  Ironically enough I was eating soup when typing, so I must of though soup.  Ha ha.  Funny though.
Message 9 of 13
voidman
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Whoops. Sorry about that Haulingthescoreup.  Ironically enough I was eating soup when typing, so I must of though soup.  Ha ha.  Funny though.

Haha, thanks for the monday morning laugh. Be careful when you type some important mail while eating. 

-void
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.