Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Credit Union?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which Credit Union?

I want to start working towards getting a Credit Union credit card at some point down the line and therefore would like to join a CU now so that I can start building a relationship with them.

I have about $1000 which I could put in to either a checking or savings account (or maybe do the secured loan thing I saw in another thread?) but I am not a member of any associations or paritcular employer (work for a small private company)

My most recent TU score is 690 (I don't have the others) but I do have a fair number of enquiries and only 1 years worth of history, AAoA is 9.5 months (tho I am being added as an AU to an account which should report this month and will take that to 15 months)

Can anyone recommend a CU who would work with me? Or is there an organization that I need to pay a fee to so i can become a member and join one?

All this is aiming for a CC in 6-9 month with them (in time for the move to the new house) 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which Credit Union?

I have found Alliant CU to be a very good one.  They don't offer secured cards, but do offer secured loans.

If you or your immediate family are in the military (or paid retired military) or a DoD contractor, then Navy Federal Credit Union is the best "credit" union, IMO.  Their deposit rates do not compare to Alliant, but they have a more generous credit department, I think.

I have heard good things about Affinity FCU.  PenFed is good, but fairly conservative.  You can also check our your locals.  You may find a great CU in your backyard, so to speak.  Look for one that offers:

1.  Secured Loans

2.  Secured Cards

3.  Credit Builder Loans (secured loan, but they "loan" you the money to put into savings for collateral)

Message 2 of 11
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Alliant CU is popular. Penfed is popular, too, but they are quirky. NFCU is good, but there's no general in.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to suggest to you Alliant fcu. You can get in with them by joining the PTA. They are awesome to work with and you can deal directly with underwriters on your loans..Unless they've recently changed..I also like JFCU, but some here will say they are too quirky. I have had ZERO problems with them or their loan products. You can join the National Sheriffs Association to be eligible for them...GOOD LUCK CU's are a great way to establish your credit and most will GROW with you with time.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

So Alliant seems to be the one to go for Smiley Very Happy

What does PTA stand for? That I could join to become a member?

And TX unfortunately I don't have any relatives who were members of the forces - my old roommate was an ex marine but I don't live at the same address as him any longer

Thank you all for your help! 

Message Edited by Susyquk on 05-08-2009 05:41 PM
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

www.pta.org

PTA:  Parent Teacher Association

If you belong to your kids local PTA, you are all ready qualified for Alliant.  If not, then go to www.pta.org and join online for 1 year and you are qualified.  Once you qualify and join Alliant, you do not have to continue to renew your PTA membership, because once you are an Alliant member, you are always one.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Well I just joined the PTA so I will wait for the membership card to come through and then hopefully will be able to apply to join Alliant so that I can then app for their Secured Loan - I am thinking just a 6 month term for $500 loan and doing what txjohn suggested in another thread of just putting the money back in to the savings account and then a month into it paying off like $400 and then letting the remaining $100 be paid back over the remaining 5 months...

That would work, right?

Thanks again all.  These boards are awesome (and obsession causing) 

Message 7 of 11
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

You don't need to wait.  I joined the Nat. PTA and apped for Alliant the same day.  Worked for me.

Good luck

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I just tried applying (just to open a savings account at this point)

and got the message

Thank you for your application to establish membership with Alliant Credit Union. An Alliant representative will review your application and contact you by mail within 3-5 business days regarding your account status.

I don't know if that is normal or not?  Smiley Indifferent It looks like they may not want my money

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't worry thats a typical response from ALLIANT...Their online system has done that to alot of people including me..Give them a call early next week...GOOD LUCK...
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.