cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Credit card will Back Date?

Contributor

Re: Which Credit card will Back Date?


Walt_K wrote:

gijoe4500 wrote:

Bluerain wrote: 

How long can they go back because they don't even show up on my CR ?



As far back as they can see in their records.  They don't look at your credit report for that info.


But if they can't find it in their records, it will be up to you to prove that you had a prior account.  So if you have the account number, have any old cc statements, or old cr reports, etc. where the account does still show, that might help.


Was so long ago I don't have them records...maybe if my name is in their database that would be good enough...if not it's no biggie.

 

Anyway...this info is good to know.

Message 11 of 19
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which Credit card will Back Date?


Guava wrote:

Hi, only American Express does this. If you had an AMEX card some time ago and it was cancelled or closed, and you just got approved for an AMEX card, you can ask them to back date it to the date that you first became AMEX card holder. It works for primary card holder, and it's dicey if you were just an authorized user.


Guava,

 

So lets say an individual applied for a card a while back and got accepted. Then, later on he applied for a different card for AMEX would they backdate it to the first application? Or is it applicable only for a closed or cancelled card?


Starting Score: EQ: 600, EX: 580, TU: 599
Current Score: EQ: 710 on 01/22/12, TU: 763 on 02/02/12, EX: 753 on 1/28/13
Goal Score: EQ: 775, TU: 775, EX: 775


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 19
Valued Contributor

Re: Which Credit card will Back Date?


GBPac12 wrote:

Guava wrote:

Hi, only American Express does this. If you had an AMEX card some time ago and it was cancelled or closed, and you just got approved for an AMEX card, you can ask them to back date it to the date that you first became AMEX card holder. It works for primary card holder, and it's dicey if you were just an authorized user.


Guava,

 

So lets say an individual applied for a card a while back and got accepted. Then, later on he applied for a different card for AMEX would they backdate it to the first application? Or is it applicable only for a closed or cancelled card?


from what i have read the new card back dates

Message 13 of 19
Super Contributor

Re: Which Credit card will Back Date?

AMEX will backdate any account that you open to the year that you first opened an AMEX account ( member since date ). You CR will show the account open date as month that you open the new account and the year of your member since date. That is why many people like to app in Jan for additional AMEX cards, so that they will show Jan/XXXX as the open date, where XXXX is the member since date. No other CCs backdate that I am aware of.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 14 of 19
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which Credit card will Back Date?


pizzadude wrote:
AMEX will backdate any account that you open to the year that you first opened an AMEX account ( member since date ). You CR will show the account open date as month that you open the new account and the year of your member since date. That is why many people like to app in Jan for additional AMEX cards, so that they will show Jan/XXXX as the open date, where XXXX is the member since date. No other CCs backdate that I am aware of.

Really,

 

Man, I should try and get into the club soon, Smiley Tongue It would only be to my benefit.

 


Starting Score: EQ: 600, EX: 580, TU: 599
Current Score: EQ: 710 on 01/22/12, TU: 763 on 02/02/12, EX: 753 on 1/28/13
Goal Score: EQ: 775, TU: 775, EX: 775


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 19
Community Leader
Valued Contributor

Re: Which Credit card will Back Date?

Hello!  The premise with American Express is that "once a card member, always a cardmember" so if you have a had an account in the past, you can be backdated to your original "membership" date.  No other CCC do this and it's a nice perk to have with AMEX.  Luv them!  Smiley Happy

 


Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 16 of 19
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which Credit card will Back Date?


impovingmycredit wrote:

Hello!  The premise with American Express is that "once a card member, always a cardmember" so if you have a had an account in the past, you can be backdated to your original "membership" date.  No other CCC do this and it's a nice perk to have with AMEX.  Luv them!  Smiley Happy

 


impovingmycredit,

 

WOW, that is great. Just another perk to add to the already massive list Smiley Very Happy. I just wish there is a special fertilizer to speed up the gardening process LOL

 

Looks like I will just have to tough it out for now.


Starting Score: EQ: 600, EX: 580, TU: 599
Current Score: EQ: 710 on 01/22/12, TU: 763 on 02/02/12, EX: 753 on 1/28/13
Goal Score: EQ: 775, TU: 775, EX: 775


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 19
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Which Credit card will Back Date?


CS800 wrote:

For AMEX, I have heard and read about backdating in the 80's. But i'm sure they can go further back.


I was an AU on my dad's Amex Plat card back in the late 80's. Amex backdated my own Plat and Clear cards to 1988, and it gave me significant increases in my FICO scores.

Message 18 of 19
Highlighted
Community Leader
Valued Contributor

Re: Which Credit card will Back Date?

LOL - No kidding!  I'd go into DEBT for that fertilizer.  Smiley Very Happy  Just Joking but I do know how it feels to be in the garden for  along time.  I'm stuck in the garden for the next year! 


GBPac12 wrote:

impovingmycredit wrote:

Hello!  The premise with American Express is that "once a card member, always a cardmember" so if you have a had an account in the past, you can be backdated to your original "membership" date.  No other CCC do this and it's a nice perk to have with AMEX.  Luv them!  Smiley Happy

 


impovingmycredit,

 

WOW, that is great. Just another perk to add to the already massive list Smiley Very Happy. I just wish there is a special fertilizer to speed up the gardening process LOL

 

Looks like I will just have to tough it out for now.


 


Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 19 of 19