Regular Contributor

Which Credit card will Back Date?

I read on another forum they applied for a credit card and the Issuer "back dated" it to 1994.

Is this possible and is this legal?

Equifax - 789 Experian - 747 (Fako) Transunion - 715

Starting Score: 620
Current Score: 789
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor

Re: Which Credit card will Back Date?

The only one I remember hearing about doing that is AMEX, and I think it's under the pretense that you've had a card from them before. If you haven't had a prior relationship with them I don't know if they'll do it or not - then again, I don't know how diligently they check their records about that either.

EQ 679 FICO (02/24/2012)
TU 721 FICO (03/10/2012)
EX 703 FICO (05/05/2012)

Cards: NFCU cashRewards $14k, NFCU Platinum $14k, USAA Amex $7k, Amazon Visa $3k, Chase Freedom $2.5k, Amex Zync NPSL, Discover More $1k, Amazon Store $1.3k, Walmart Store $700
Established Contributor

Hi, only American Express does this. If you had an AMEX card some time ago and it was cancelled or closed, and you just got approved for an AMEX card, you can ask them to back date it to the date that you first became AMEX card holder. It works for primary card holder, and it's dicey if you were just an authorized user.

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Regular Contributor

That is REALLY common with Amex, if you have had an account with them in the past.  I am not sure about other credit card companies though.

Last Hard Pull 05/24/2013

Starting Score: MyFico TU: 621 EQ: 610
Current Score: AmEx EX: 700 Walmart TU: 711 EQ: 699
Goal Score: 700's baby! (made it 4/10/2013!)
New Goal: 740!!

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow this good to know...I had a card with them as a primary many moons ago. As soon as I get my credit where

it needs to be I'll try for an Amex card again and ask for a back date.

I closed the account in great standing.

How long can they go back because they don't even show up on my CR ?

Regular Contributor

Bluerain wrote: 

As far back as they can see in their records.  They don't look at your credit report for that info.

Last Hard Pull 05/24/2013

Starting Score: MyFico TU: 621 EQ: 610
Current Score: AmEx EX: 700 Walmart TU: 711 EQ: 699
Goal Score: 700's baby! (made it 4/10/2013!)
New Goal: 740!!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

For AMEX, I have heard and read about backdating in the 80's. But i'm sure they can go further back.

Contributor

Tha

gijoe4500 wrote:

Bluerain wrote: 

As far back as they can see in their records.  They don't look at your credit report for that info.

Thanks....Now I'm curious and wonder how far back a CC company records are able to go back.

Senior Contributor

gijoe4500 wrote:

Bluerain wrote: 

But if they can't find it in their records, it will be up to you to prove that you had a prior account.  So if you have the account number, have any old cc statements, or old cr reports, etc. where the account does still show, that might help.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Contributor

CS800 wrote:

For AMEX, I have heard and read about backdating in the 80's. But i'm sure they can go further back.

WOW that's far .

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.