Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which Credit card?

My husbands score is 657. he only has two student loans on his report and he has a secured capital one that has not gone on his report yet. Which cards do yu guys recommend for him to apply to?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which Credit card?

Orchard.  I have their gold card, unsecured.  Cap 1 unsecured,  First Primevil unsecured.  I will be taking out a SECURED Visa from my CU for $5000 to give me the utilization range (I still am under 25% and pushing that downward) and they also DO NOT pull an inquiry.  Forced savings is what I think of it as Smiley Happy

My scores when applying were 652.

I am cutting up (and taking pictures) the First Primevil card and closing the account in July.  At that point, I'm hoping my scores will be pushing 700 and applying for better cards.

I will also be 14 months post Ch 7 bk, and 15 months post foreclosure. 

Message 2 of 17
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My husbands score is 657. he only has two student loans on his report and he has a secured capital one that has not gone on his report yet. Which cards do yu guys recommend for him to apply to?

Can you explain his credit profile in more detail (Score is just one of the many factors)?

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 3 of 17
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Orchard.  I have their gold card, unsecured.  Cap 1 unsecured,  First Primevil unsecured.  I will be taking out a SECURED Visa from my CU for $5000 to give me the utilization range (I still am under 25% and pushing that downward) and they also DO NOT pull an inquiry.  Forced savings is what I think of it as Smiley Happy

My scores when applying were 652.

I am cutting up (and taking pictures) the First Primevil card and closing the account in July.  At that point, I'm hoping my scores will be pushing 700 and applying for better cards.

I will also be 14 months post Ch 7 bk, and 15 months post foreclosure. 

IMO, this is no great advice. Why advice people sub prime AF cards like orchard without even knowing what keeps his scores at 657?

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 4 of 17
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I suggest he wait until 6 months of reporting from Capital One before applying for next card

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is nothing on his credit report literally, but two student loans that are 6 months old. That is it. He has one secured capital one card right now that has not been reported yet. He opened it in February.

Message 6 of 17
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There is nothing on his credit report literally, but two student loans that are 6 months old. That is it. He has one secured capital one card right now that has not been reported yet. He opened it in February.

So in that case, this is what he should do. Hold tight for about 3 months and then get a store card. GEMB will be the best for him as of now. From that point, he should wait for the cap1 to hit 1st anniversary and then he can take any decent card like chase freedom.

Don't get trapped into any orchard/FP or any other AF cards. GEMB cards are easy to get approved once you have any 2-3 month old card and grow pretty well in the beginning.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, thank you guys.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@vish1 wrote:

IMO, this is no great advice. Why advice people sub prime AF cards like orchard without even knowing what keeps his scores at 657?

Because YOU don't think they are good cards, does not mean the advice does NOT suit their situation. My score is very similar; she is looking for an UNsecured card for her husband.

I not only did NOT give advice, I said what *I* have done... and is working for me, as well as my future, immediate plans.

Lrn to read Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 17
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@vish1 wrote:

Because YOU don't think they are good cards, does not mean the advice does NOT suit their situation. My score is very similar; she is looking for an UNsecured card for her husband.

I not only did NOT give advice, I said what *I* have done... and is working for me, as well as my future, immediate plans.

Lrn to read Smiley Wink

Where in her post did she say unsecured?

This was the question:

OP: ...Which cards do yu guys recommend for him to apply to?

This is your answer:

Orchard.  I have their gold card, unsecured....

This is read as advice followed by a reasoning for the advice unless my english is totally screwed up.

You need to learn to read. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.