Reply
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 4,470
Registered: ‎12-31-2008
0

Re: Which Credit card?


vish1 wrote:

 So in that case, this is what he should do. Hold tight for about 3 months and then get a store card. GEMB will be the best for him as of now. From that point, he should wait for the cap1 to hit 1st anniversary and then he can take any decent card like chase freedom.

 

Don't get trapped into any orchard/FP or any other AF cards. GEMB cards are easy to get approved once you have any 2-3 month old card and grow pretty well in the beginning.


There's no particular value in a store card - in and of itself.  If there's a merchant card that works well for you (i.e. great discounts, etc). then it may be worth considering. 

It's very good advice to wait for the first anniversary before apping for additional revolving. 

To best know which cards, and when to apply for them, Pull at least one FICO score here.  The report will tell you how you look to potential lenders, along with "What's Hurting Your Score" and "What's Helping Your Score".  Google "myFICO discount code" to save a few bucks.   When he's built up his FICO score, then it's a good time to determine what your best next move will be.

 

Best step right now is to perfectly manage the secured card and let it age.

 

btw, when that Cap One card reports - you should see a significant FICO score jump.  DH saw 28 points when opening his first, and I saw 20.  You will not see that type of jump when adding additional cards.  FICO looks to see if you have a bank/national cc revolving account - and you only need one to keep FICO happy on this reason code.

Just puttin' syrup on something, don't make it pancakes.
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,129
Registered: ‎01-20-2011
0

Re: Which Credit card?

 


beamMEup wrote:

vish1 wrote:

 So in that case, this is what he should do. Hold tight for about 3 months and then get a store card. GEMB will be the best for him as of now. From that point, he should wait for the cap1 to hit 1st anniversary and then he can take any decent card like chase freedom.

 

Don't get trapped into any orchard/FP or any other AF cards. GEMB cards are easy to get approved once you have any 2-3 month old card and grow pretty well in the beginning.


There's no particular value in a store card - in and of itself.  If there's a merchant card that works well for you (i.e. great discounts, etc). then it may be worth considering. 

It's very good advice to wait for the first anniversary before apping for additional revolving. 

To best know which cards, and when to apply for them, Pull at least one FICO score here.  The report will tell you how you look to potential lenders, along with "What's Hurting Your Score" and "What's Helping Your Score".  Google "myFICO discount code" to save a few bucks.   When he's built up his FICO score, then it's a good time to determine what your best next move will be.

 

Best step right now is to perfectly manage the secured card and let it age.

 

btw, when that Cap One card reports - you should see a significant FICO score jump.  DH saw 28 points when opening his first, and I saw 20.  You will not see that type of jump when adding additional cards.  FICO looks to see if you have a bank/national cc revolving account - and you only need one to keep FICO happy on this reason code.


 

The only reason I said that was that he has only 1 credit line and many CCCs like to see more than 1 revolving accounts and getting a easy to approve store card like GEMB may be the only AF free way to get 2 lines on the CR and can also help util (can ve very difficult to maintain util % with only 1 secured card).

 

I do know for sure that you know much more than me, I am just trying to state my point of view and if you think this is not correct, I will trust your thoughts more than my thoughts.

Amex PRG | BoA Cash rewards 35K | BoA Cash rewards 7K | Citi AAdvantage 15 K | Chase Sapphire Preferred 11 K | Chase Freedom 10k | Chase United 5 K | Chase Southwest 5K | Chase Airtran 6.4K | Discover IT 8K | Barclays US Airways 7.8 K | DCU 3 K | US Bank Flex Perks 8K | Toys r US 6 K | JC Penney 4.6 K | Macy's 1200 | Kohl's 600
Ex Fico: 762 (PSECU)
EQ Fico: 764 (DCU)
TX Fico: 773 (Discover)
Established Member
Posts: 94
Registered: ‎08-31-2010
0

Re: Which Credit card?


vish1 wrote:

 


HopeLives wrote:

vish1 wrote:

 

 

IMO, this is no great advice. Why advice people sub prime AF cards like orchard without even knowing what keeps his scores at 657?


Because YOU don't think they are good cards, does not mean the advice does NOT suit their situation. My score is very similar; she is looking for an UNsecured card for her husband.

 

I not only did NOT give advice, I said what *I* have done... and is working for me, as well as my future, immediate plans.

 

Lrn to read :smileywink:


 

Where in her post did she say unsecured?

 

This was the question:

OP: ...Which cards do yu guys recommend for him to apply to?

 

This is your answer:

Orchard.  I have their gold card, unsecured....

 

This is read as advice followed by a reasoning for the advice unless my english is totally screwed up.

 

You need to learn to read. :smileyhappy:


Splitting hairs here - I generally do not give advice, I tell what *I* have done to obtain cards and thereby, increase my scores (presuming they are PIF, blah blah blah).  My score is similar, my student loan situation is similar; in addition I have the bk and foreclosure... so, I'm telling her what I did to increase my portfolio.

 

She can choose to do what she wants, obviously...

 

What the eck is GEMB?


Starting Score: 588
Current Score: 645
Goal Score: 700+


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,129
Registered: ‎01-20-2011
0

Re: Which Credit card?

 


HopeLives wrote:

vish1 wrote:

 


HopeLives wrote:

vish1 wrote:

 

 

IMO, this is no great advice. Why advice people sub prime AF cards like orchard without even knowing what keeps his scores at 657?


Because YOU don't think they are good cards, does not mean the advice does NOT suit their situation. My score is very similar; she is looking for an UNsecured card for her husband.

 

I not only did NOT give advice, I said what *I* have done... and is working for me, as well as my future, immediate plans.

 

Lrn to read :smileywink:


 

Where in her post did she say unsecured?

 

This was the question:

OP: ...Which cards do yu guys recommend for him to apply to?

 

This is your answer:

Orchard.  I have their gold card, unsecured....

 

This is read as advice followed by a reasoning for the advice unless my english is totally screwed up.

 

You need to learn to read. :smileyhappy:


Splitting hairs here - I generally do not give advice, I tell what *I* have done to obtain cards and thereby, increase my scores (presuming they are PIF, blah blah blah).  My score is similar, my student loan situation is similar; in addition I have the bk and foreclosure... so, I'm telling her what I did to increase my portfolio.

 

She can choose to do what she wants, obviously...

 

What the eck is GEMB?


GEMB is GE Money Bank. I am not trying to pick on you or anything like that, I am just trying to say that though you did not intend to advice, your post may be read as one. In addition to this, we should understand that scores may or may not mean anything. 657 with a bk is not even closely similar to 657 due to a thin file.

 

Amex PRG | BoA Cash rewards 35K | BoA Cash rewards 7K | Citi AAdvantage 15 K | Chase Sapphire Preferred 11 K | Chase Freedom 10k | Chase United 5 K | Chase Southwest 5K | Chase Airtran 6.4K | Discover IT 8K | Barclays US Airways 7.8 K | DCU 3 K | US Bank Flex Perks 8K | Toys r US 6 K | JC Penney 4.6 K | Macy's 1200 | Kohl's 600
Ex Fico: 762 (PSECU)
EQ Fico: 764 (DCU)
TX Fico: 773 (Discover)
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,129
Registered: ‎01-20-2011
0

Re: Which Credit card?

GEMB issues a lot of store cards like JCP etc

Amex PRG | BoA Cash rewards 35K | BoA Cash rewards 7K | Citi AAdvantage 15 K | Chase Sapphire Preferred 11 K | Chase Freedom 10k | Chase United 5 K | Chase Southwest 5K | Chase Airtran 6.4K | Discover IT 8K | Barclays US Airways 7.8 K | DCU 3 K | US Bank Flex Perks 8K | Toys r US 6 K | JC Penney 4.6 K | Macy's 1200 | Kohl's 600
Ex Fico: 762 (PSECU)
EQ Fico: 764 (DCU)
TX Fico: 773 (Discover)
Established Member
Posts: 94
Registered: ‎08-31-2010
0

Re: Which Credit card?


vish1 wrote:

GEMB is GE Money Bank. I am not trying to pick on you or anything like that, I am just trying to say that though you did not intend to advice, your post may be read as one. In addition to this, we should understand that scores may or may not mean anything. 657 with a bk is not even closely similar to 657 due to a thin file.

 


So, hijacking this (maybe it will help??):

 

apparently, 657 with bk > 657 thin??   I was not considered for secured card only unsecured.  Read: I applied for SECURED and received UNsecured.  with a bk/foreclosure < 1 year.


Starting Score: 588
Current Score: 645
Goal Score: 700+


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Contributor
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎08-24-2010
0

Re: Which Credit card?

If this is a thin file situation, then Citi Forward could be had.

 

Otherwise, I was just approved for Sony Card (Cap1) and they approved me based on a 650 (EX) score.  I've also had a serious app spree within the last 52 weeks.

 

Caveat:  If he doesn't pay in full, then these are not the cards for him.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.