cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which EQ date is used for falling off your CR?

tag
Veee
Frequent Contributor

Which EQ date is used for falling off your CR?

I put my Equifax report on a spreadsheet today so now I can see things a little differently and now I have a couple of questions.

I have in good standing, paid off, closed accounts ...
1 Mortgage account
6 Installment accounts

Which date do I use to know when these will fall off my CR?  On EQ only.

I also have a question regarding open revolving accounts; I have one that was opened in 1989, can't remember the last time I used it and I don't have the card anymore.  There is only a 250.00 CL on it but if I could use it just to buy a pair of socks once a month and have it start showing activity again would probably be good for me at this point for "age" purposes.  Never any problems with this account, just stopped shopping there.  My question is this ... Since I'm deceased I don't know what would happen if I called them and said "Please send me a new card" will they check my credit after all this time and then see I'm dead and not give it to me and/or then close the account ... I don't want to lose the age of this account.  Part two, as long as these account's stay open, they stay on your CR?

Hope you understand the question .. O, it's a Lane Bryant card just in case it helps to know that.

Veee
Myfico scores as of 11/12/08 TU 750 EX 722

MyFico scores as of 9/20/08 TU 638 EX 663 EQ 691
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Veee
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which EQ date is used for falling off your CR?

bump

Message 2 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I'm sorry to hear of your untimely death. Smiley Sad

I'm kind of thinking out loud here, but I'd probably go into a local store with all your old info, pick up a nice, big armful of merchandise to buy, and explain to them what happened. They will be able to confirm that you're alive and possibly straighten it out on their end. Store cards are usually more willing to revive (har har) an old account than are bank cards, and LB now has a better bank behind them.

As for the other cards/ accounts, they should fall off ten years after they were closed. My EQ reports do show the date closed, so look for that. If a card was closed in March 1999, it should display through February 2009 and then vanish in March. Closed accounts have been known to fall off EQ early, though. Smiley Sad
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 12
Veee
Frequent Contributor

Yea I'm sorry too.  If I were dead I wouldn't have to be dealing with all this!

I may just do that, thanks for the tip!

haulingthescoreup wrote:
I'm sorry to hear of your untimely death. Smiley Sad

I'm kind of thinking out loud here, but I'd probably go into a local store with all your old info, pick up a nice, big armful of merchandise to buy, and explain to them what happened. They will be able to confirm that you're alive and possibly straighten it out on their end. Store cards are usually more willing to revive (har har) an old account than are bank cards, and LB now has a better bank behind them.

Message 4 of 12
Veee
Frequent Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:

As for the other cards/ accounts, they should fall off ten years after they were closed. My EQ reports do show the date closed, so look for that. If a card was closed in March 1999, it should display through February 2009 and then vanish in March. Closed accounts have been known to fall off EQ early, though. Smiley Sad

Funny the accounts that I'm thinking may fall off soon ... they don't have a closed date.  In comments or Activity Description they are all listed as paid and closed.  Is there another date I can go by on these to know when they might drop off?

How does this play a roll on my credit ... Paid installment loans, are they basically just there for "age" as they don't report in "credit limits", "Balances", or "Available"?

Thanks for you input.

Message 5 of 12
Veee
Frequent Contributor

Bump ... would I use the DOLA?

Veee wrote:

haulingthescoreup wrote:

Funny the accounts that I'm thinking may fall off soon ... they don't have a closed date.  In comments or Activity Description they are all listed as paid and closed.  Is there another date I can go by on these to know when they might drop off?

How does this play a roll on my credit ... Paid installment loans, are they basically just there for "age" as they don't report in "credit limits", "Balances", or "Available"?

Thanks for you input.

Message 6 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Veee wrote:

@Veee wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Funny the accounts that I'm thinking may fall off soon ... they don't have a closed date. In comments or Activity Description they are all listed as paid and closed. Is there another date I can go by on these to know when they might drop off?
Thanks for you input.
Bump ... would I use the DOLA?

I'm sorry, I don't know how that would work! They might have been open for a year after the DOLA, so I wouldn't think that it should be that, but you never know.

You're clicking the "printable report" option to expand the accounts display, right? If you don't see a closed date there, you might need to get a full report from the credit bureau(s), and see if the dates display there.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 12
Veee
Frequent Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:

I'm sorry, I don't know how that would work! They might have been open for a year after the DOLA, so I wouldn't think that it should be that, but you never know.

You're clicking the "printable report" option to expand the accounts display, right? If you don't see a closed date there, you might need to get a full report from the credit bureau(s), and see if the dates display there.

Yes I did expand the accounts, thanks for the suggestion.  I'm still waiting for EX and EQ to make me alive again so once that happens I'll request my credit reports and go from there.

This actually leads me to another question ...

I've gotten TU and I'm alive again ... after I get the other two, which should be probably this week.  How long should I wait before trying to get FICO scores?  Can I get them right away or should I wait 30 days to let things settle?  I disputed other things on cr along with my death.

Thanks,
Veee

Message 8 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I think that once you can access the full reports directly from the bureaus, you should be OK. Even though you access your FICO scores here, they're actually crunched by the CRA's off their reports, so I would think that you'd be OK.

Nevertheless, I would do this on a Monday or Tuesday, so that if you can't get them, it will be easy to reach myFICO CS for help.

Good luck, and welcome back to the land of the living. Smiley Wink
Message 9 of 12
Veee
Frequent Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:
I think that once you can access the full reports directly from the bureaus, you should be OK. Even though you access your FICO scores here, they're actually crunched by the CRA's off their reports, so I would think that you'd be OK.

Nevertheless, I would do this on a Monday or Tuesday, so that if you can't get them, it will be easy to reach myFICO CS for help.  When you pull scores from myfico does it give you the option to pull just one or two or do you have to pull all 3 at the same time? 

Good luck, and welcome back to the land of the living. Smiley Wink Thanks! 2/3 of the way there, still waiting for EQ but I disputed a week or so later then the other two.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.