Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Of These Cards Would You Close?

tag
grigorexxxcore
Regular Contributor

Which Of These Cards Would You Close?

Thanks for everyone who is reading this, I appreciate your help.

I really believe I have too many cards and want to cancel some of these after about 6-10 months from now. 

I will post all my cards and how long I have had them open and would like to get help from you guys.

I really just want to keep the cards that I know that will get credit limit increases and take good care of me.

American Express Zync - I plan to keep this card, regardless.

Bloomingdales - $300 (I would like to give this card the boot) Open for 1 year.

Bank of America - Secured Card. $300. I would like to keep this and convert it to unsecured in a few months. Open for 3 months.

Capital One - $750. Open for 6 months. Will they ever give CLIs?

Capital One Journey - $500. Open for 3 months. Again, will Capital One be worth keeping for higher limits?

Citi - Citi closed this account due to "high risk". Plan to reopen in October of this year, and this card is over 2 years old.

First Premiere Bank - $350. I feel like this one has to go. 1 year old.

HSBC Orchard Bank - $320. This one HAS to get the boot. Correct? 1 year old.

Hooters - $500. Just opened, should I bother keeping it? Will I ever get a CLI?

Nordstrom - $2500. I'm keeping this for sure. I know the large CL will gap my credit to debt ratio.

Wells Fargo College Card - $700. I see my future bright with Wells Fargo, right?

If you guys were in my situation, which cards would you get rid of?

My credit has improved very well since I was new to it 2 years ago, I would ultimately like to just have a small handful or cards with large limits, rather than a ton of cards and small limits. Which cards would you guys recommend in the future after closing some of these accounts?

All your help would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which Of These Cards Would You Close?

In my honest opinion at this point I would make closing cards less a priority and put more focus on geting a more prime card or two in your profile before closing anything. Use the age of all these accounts you have to your advantage. I don't know your FICO's, but assuming they are above 670ish with no lates or derogs or heavy INQ's go after a prime card or two. You already have a AMEX Zinc, so you have the ball rolling. And then I am still not sure I would close accounts unless they have annual fees. The cards you have....as small as you may think they are, are helping your FICO score stay afloat with the age.

Message 2 of 4
grigorexxxcore
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your quick reply. They are in the 670's, that was correct and I was thinking of closing some of the cards after getting 2 prime cards. Which would you recommend? I do not plan on applying for a card for another 6 to 10 months, just to let the accounts age a bit more and to increase my chances.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Without actually looking at your CR, and assuming it is clean with FICO's in the 670 range I would think you could pull the trigger on BoA or Chase Freedom. Expect low initial CL's since no other TL is high. These banks will probably shy away from dishing out too high a CL until they trust you. But it will get your foot in the door. Also remember your FICO's will be higher in 6-10 months, assuming you stay on the straight and narrow. Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.